Well, it sounds like Canada's coming back to the fold........

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Gun_Brickie, Aug 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. admittedly, it hasn't been officially announced, but there's numerous reports coming out of various Canadian newspapers that Maritime Command will revert to the proper name of "Royal Canadian Navy", Air Command will revert to the name "Royal Canadian Air Force", and Land Command will revert to being the "Canadian Army".

Navy, air force going

The Canadian Forces names: A mark of respect - The Globe and Mail

In the words of Victor Meldrew, "I don't believe it"
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

is that so they can get more upskirt shots of the one after queen camilla then?
  3. Good for them! Also it is very interesting/amusing to read the comments under the first article regarding the whole Anglo vs French question in Canada. Glad to see a lot of Frog bashing going on. Also interesting to draw the similarities between us and the Canadians, regarding the media. One of them mentions the liberal cbc (bbc) who will probably claim that this would be racist against the French Canadians etc etc over the term "Royal". I could imagine the bbc doing exactly the same thing, down with all "bc's" is what i say!
  4. It makes sense really. of course BQ always seems to resent anything being called "Royal' so they may be annoyed. However at the last election BQ lost so many seats they almost have ceased to exist. I have had many pleasant visits on RCN ships and always liked the "snot gray" paint job on them. USN should copy the color.
  5. The Bloc has only 4 seats in Parliament as it stands, so it has lost its status as a political party in Ottawa, meaning that it isn't allotted time in Question Period, amongst other lost perks. I'm awaiting the howls of outrage from the CBC and other members of the chatterati decrying this move as they'll see it as "colonialism", "a retrograde step", "erosion of Canadian identity and sovereignty", etc, etc, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.
  6. I also hear the Army may be returning to the Brit style Officer rank insignia.
    I always make a point of reminding the Frenchies in Canada that they are a bunch of cheese eating surrender monkey wanna bees, it goes down a treat!!!!!!
  7. I thought the thread was going to be about the Canadians finally taking cricket seriously. Aren't they the only major Commonwealth country who don't?
  8. Gun Brickie, I expect the same. As you may know from prior posts I am from the country a bit to the south of Canada but have many Canadian friends and two wonderful Godchildren in Ontario so I try to keep up with Canadian news on the CBC website. I am always amazed at how the comments sections on each CBC story are usually dominated by the extreme left, anti-monarchists and anti-Americans. check out some of the comments here:
    Navy and air force to be royally renamed - Politics - CBC News
  9. I'll bet the Quebeckys are butthurt over this
    • Like Like x 1
  10. That's why my life has been CBC-free for over 20 years (no, I won't even watch Hockey Night in Canada). I'm glad that there's a tide turning against the Mother Corp by the public, as people question why the CBC gets 1.1 billion bucks per year for news shows nobody takes seriously, "comedies" that are so bad they defy description, documentaries that are perfect antidotes to insomnia, and sports events that are hosted by the same boring old farts who've been there WAY too long.
  11. **** 'em............
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Well, Bloc got a large piece of street named Dorchester Boulevard renamed Boul. Rene Levesque. We will know the BQ is dead when a section of Chemin de Cotes des Neiges is renamed Chemin Edgar Trottier
  13. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Congrats to the Royal Canadian Navy, Canadian Army and Royal Canadian Air Force!
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Mozambique? Only guessing. No doubt some-one will find the team on Google.
  15. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

No disrespect to Mozambique but its hardly a 'major' commonwealth country.