Well, It had to Come Eventually, Didnt It

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Sven, May 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The postal regulator wants to part privatise the Royal Mail.

I have a better idea. Keep mail delivery as a state utility and take away the licences to the mail companies. It wasn't broke before they were invited in to cherry pick what services they wanted to replicate but should be stopped before it is fixed totally in their favour.
  2. Good God. I find myself in agreement with Sven!

Nurse! NURSE!
  3. About feckin' time too the time wasting, money grubbing lazy arrsed feckers. Don't part privatise them, privatise them completely and make them work for a living and compete like everybody else has to. They were good once, something to be proud of, now they're just a burden.
  4. In agreement with Sven , Don't privatise the Post Office, an organisation once the envy of the civilised world...

.....Privatise the Management, and stop closing sub-post offices.
  5. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

PTP, you feel strongly about it then
  6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

'kin hell I too agree with sven, but then a broken watch is still right twice a day.

Put it back to how it was a leave it well alone.
  7. Royal Mail is a rubbish company. Moaning that competitors steal business is ludicrous. It's not the competitors - it's that Royal Mail lacks any business direction.

Go into a post office. You can't photocopy any of the documents you need to urgently send out. You can't even buy a decent envelope or stationery to put them in. But you can buy flight socks and covers for MP3 players that Argos stopped selling 5 years earlier.

I'd buy it, restructure it, issue deodorant to its staff, and turn it into a fine company Britain could be proud of.
  8. Concur with SVEN and PTP too.

This is turning out to be a strange day. :)
  9. What do You think the result of privatisation (part or complete) will be? Loss of most of our post offices, standardised letter costs out of the window with huge increases.

Also, the Royal mail 'was good' when they were a service provided by the government, not when they were a private company. Splitting Post Offices from the Royal Mail,forcing people to place their pensions into bank accounts, reducing the state funds and taking away such things as being able to pay the TV licence there have all done the part to reduce the royal Mails effectiveness
  10. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

What the hell has happened to the real Sven? People are agreeing with him on this site including me! Maybe we should report suspected foul play to the police in his area...
  11. Very strongly OFaH.

The problems of the Post Office lie in a weak and ineffectual management ticking off their chufft charts to bonus/golden parachute days.

It's a joke, and the Government's constant water boarding where the Post Office itself doesn't know where it will be this time next week, has not helped in the slightest.

Bring in a new private management team with a simple brief, get this workining as an organisation again without selling off the family silver.

If postal prices have to go up another .5p to pay for it, so be it. Rather have an inexpensive and reliable service, then see the Royal Mail reduced to a pitiful shadow of it's former self, with it's Gold and Platinum banded assets sold off, in an insane drive to turn it into little more than another courier company.

The Royal Mail should be positioning itself, through aggressive pricing and branding to be the world's best postal and courier service.

I often wonder why Royal Mail doesn't base itself internationally, in a 'courier' guise. The "Royal" cachet would be a big draw , especially backed by a reputation for reliabilty, in markets like India, Russia and China.
  12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

He's still trolling on other threads though.

Privatise any company and you generally will get less out of it. Some of the money coming in goes to shareholders so there is obviously less to spend on the less profit making elements, hence they are cut. That is exactly what will happen here if they sell it off.
  13. Edited'

Stay on thread please Gents.
  14. State controlled monopoly versus profit orientented private companies?

Which gives you more for your money?

In 99% of cases the private company is a customers best bet unless you wish to pay twice for the same services (tax and over the counter costs).
  15. And the one percent is the royal mail, Not many private companies will send a letter to the other side of the country for the price of a first class stamp. It one of the few cases where a monoploy is good for the country.