Well I never!!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
This was posted to the ACC FB page, so had a quick gander - 29th Field Kitchen |

This popped up too -
"Private Hook, a company cook in the 24th Regiment, fought a spirited defence of a hospital during a Zulu attack on Rorkes Drift, which earned him a Victoria Cross"

There's a little known fact!!! I shall watch Zulu now happily knowing that chefs were represented :)

This was posted to the ACC FB page, so had a quick gander - 29th Field Kitchen |

This popped up too -
"Private Hook, a company cook in the 24th Regiment, fought a spirited defence of a hospital during a Zulu attack on Rorkes Drift, which earned him a Victoria Cross"

There's a little known fact!!! I shall watch Zulu now happily knowing that chefs were represented :)
Oi Zulu - one farcking bandage!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
"Zulus, thousands if 'em. And I've only done enough sausages for one each"

This is how legends are born.

Are there any historical references to how many of the enemy were killed by spatula/food poisoning?
Not sure about that, but this was posted on there -

"At the first battle of Ypres, 1915, the German Army almost acheived a complete breakthrough. The attack was held by the only troops between them and the coast- a company of Royal Engineers and cooks, one of whom was only armed with a ladle"

Not sure about that, but this was posted on there -

"At the first battle of Ypres, 1915, the German Army almost acheived a complete breakthrough. The attack was held by the only troops between them and the coast- a company of Royal Engineers and cooks, one of whom was only armed with a ladle............."
.........and the other with a pint glass.

I shall watch Zulu now happily knowing that chefs were represented :)
You'll spot him easily now you know he's there - he's the fat one in bed

"... a company of Royal Engineers and cooks, one of whom was only armed with a ladle"
Many a death has been served up by an ACC ladle - we know this

I think there was mention in the book Hell Riders about the charge of the light brigade, of one of the regimental butchers deserting his post once he heard his regiment had orders to move down the valley. He went to the lines, pinched a horse and took part in the charge wearing his butchers apron and carrying his butchering axe. Came out the other end unscathed as well.

This popped up too -

Apparently he was nothing like the person depicted in the film and was an upstanding citizen who was abstinent.

On my last tour I was ever impressed by the meals the chefs managed to sort out - whilst I was sweating like Gary Glitter in mothercare just walking round the chefs were in the kitchen tent which was like an oven.
I have taken the piss out of them in the past (and will continue to do so) but like most of our lads on tour they are amazing.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

This popped up too -

Attachments

To be fair to Joker62; in the day I spent with him a few weeks ago, I found him to be a top bloke.

Still, a ******* funny picture though. Good effort

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
we used the hydra burner back in the 1970's they fitted nicely on the back of a cent AVRE. when they were due to be taken off us some were hidden in a sports field in Imphal Barracks I was told , possibly . Best bit of kit since the SLR.

I hate to take issue but the 1st Battle of Ypres was fought in October and November 1914, not 1915. The climax was an attack by six battalions of the Prussian Guard that was defeated by 2nd Ox and Bucks LI plus odds and ends of other battalions, wedgies and drop-shots. There were only about four hundred man in total so anyone armed with a big soup spoon would have stood out...

Private Hook was a good soldier who ended up as a sergeant. On the other hand, Private Hitch, who was a little goodie-two-shoes in Zulu, was a CSM's nightmare.

I hate to take issue but the 1st Battle of Ypres was fought in October and November 1914, not 1915. The climax was an attack by six battalions of the Prussian Guard that was defeated by 2nd Ox and Bucks LI plus odds and ends of other battalions, wedgies and drop-shots. There were only about four hundred man in total so anyone armed with a big soup spoon would have stood out...

Private Hook was a good soldier who ended up as a sergeant. On the other hand, Private Hitch, who was a little goodie-two-shoes in Zulu, was a CSM's nightmare.
Private Reef-Knot was a bit of a prat as well, not to mention Pte Roundturn.

And as for L/Cpl Sheepshank......well

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gas Gas Gas Current Affairs, News and Analysis 0
OldSnowy Army Reserve 4
themalky RLC 48