Well hung?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by MrTracey, May 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wherefore SDR and the 'new' TA in the event of a hung parliament?

All that work that has been done over the last few months...might be better to keep quiet now in the face of a period of indecision and lack of direction.

I can't imagine that a wholesale review of the military is top of the list for Cameron/Clegg during their negotiations to cobble together some form of half baked relationship simply in order to oust Gordon (which is all that they are interested in).

2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

SDR will be on hold until we actually have a Government. In the interim, TA (and Reserves in general) are still within the purview of Min(AF), despite his no longer being an MP. Apparently, you don't have to be an MP to be a Minister - fair enough I suppose, when you think of the Lords we get now and again :)

Oh, and edited to add - don't get hung up on the SDR. The first real 'problem' for the TA will be surviving year's spending round, in other words being in existence at all by the time the SDR takes place. Expect major cuts to the TA - not re-orgs, or whatever it is camouflaged as, but cuts as in large reductions in overall numbers.

Expect the TA to be reduced to around 25,000 from 40,000 before the SDR even starts. This does however probably reflect reality of numbers - as well as reflecting those numbers actually needed nowadays. Anyway, in-year savings first, SDR later.

3. msr

msr LE

Well if you add 1) our complete lack of clout within MOD or LAND to 2) The amount of cuts the MOD will have to make to 3) The complete disregard for the reserves shown by our regular counterparts and 4) LAND's desire for revenge over the budgetary fiasco last year, I would suggest you add 'drawn and quartered'.

msr

4. It's maybe a litte off topic but surely defence is one of the areas where a possible Conservative/Lib Dem alliance would stumble?

My impression from pre-election sound bites would be that Tory policy is broadly 'pro' a capable British military force (whatever that actually looks like) whereas Lib Dem view is more about a significant scale down across the board and no nuclear deterrent replacement.

Or have I missed the point?

I suppose whichever way you look at it, the country is pretty strapped for cash. Ken Clark made a fairly blunt observation recently; we either completely shake down the way we run the country and what we spend money on, or we all have to pay more tax.......It is probably as basic as that as this point..

5. msr

msr LE

Substitute 'and' for 'or' and I think it is about right.

msr

6. Fair doos.....I think you could well be right on that score. Maybe letting my natural optimism get the better of me.

A tough few years coming up I suspect however it shakes down. Oh well, I'll just have to seek solace in running about in green and thoroughly enjoying myself a few day a month....

7. What Old Snowy said.

The bigger issue for me will be how the planning round affects SDR. We could almost see Capability lopped or secured, pre-SDR by whatever decisions are made in the coming months without any formal review whatsoever.

On the plus side, my lost should get away scot free (for now) so it's just keeping a beady eye on the future. My biggest worry is the reduction in starred posts - that's my promotions scuppered!

8. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

None of them have been MP's since the dissolution of Parliament. It is quite proper that they should continue as Ministers until their replacements are appointed. It would be ridiculous for Brown to appoint another of his cronies at this point as it is very unlikely that he will continue to be PM for much longer. (Too long however long it is)

It is only convention that Ministers are MP's or Lords and that because they can be held to account by Parliament. There have been calls for extra-Parliamentary Ministers who can speak in the house on behalf of the Government.

9. It became Convention because it was impossible to defend or sell Departmental policies in the Commons unless you sat in the Commons. If you wanted to raise money by imposing taxes then you had to sit in the Commons as only the Commons could create new taxes or raise tax rates. Conversaly Commons Committes could end the career
    of a Minister as a minister who could not command the respect and support of MPs was useless to the Crown and HM Government.