Well, his luck finally ran out.

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by scuba_frog, Jan 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quite an amazing story in The Times today of a bloke who, miraculously surviving having an atomic bomb dropped on his head at Hiroshima, promptly fled to so somewhere safer. Nagasaki. Still, he couldn't evade the reaper and he's finally gone to the great mushroom cloud in the sky.

Anybody else out there had any similar, amazing, death-defying escapes (probably not involving WMDs)? Pretty stupid question really considering what many of you do however would be fascinated to hear of some of them. Sometimes it does you good to realise just how fragile and fleeting life is.

I wonder if he ever bought lottery tickets?
  2. I once ate an After Eight mint at 1945hrs. It was touch and go, but I made it through.
  3. You were lucky - I believe Mr Creosote, the worlds fattest man had one of those waaafer thin mints and look what happened to him.
  4. I thought it was another thread about Gordon Clown.
  5. :D well thank god your still "ticking" over :wink:
  6. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

What a fucking jinx he was
    Bet he was barred from the next town he set off for
  7. Shame it wasn't Swindon.....
  8. Would anyone notice in Swindon? By the look of most of the locals I think they must have had their own atomic experience some time back.
  9. A 3MT device going off in Swindon would do about 5 quids worth of damage!
  10. His summer house in Three Mile Island wasn't quite the investment he'd thought.
  11. Nonsense, it would thirty million quids worth of improvements...

Reading the DT article, what makes his experience amazing is he was not the only one to experience both bombs. I like the idea that he was sat on a sandbag swinging the lamp, telling his Hiroshima story when the Nagasaki bomb exploded! You can see his mates going "Yeah, right. biggest bomb yeah right. billy big-timer...WHAT THE FCUK WAS THAT!?"
  12. There was a girl who was a maid on the Olympic when she crashed (with a RN Cruiser), on the Titanic when she sank and finally on the third of the Olympic class, the Brittanic as a nurse when the liner cum Hospital Ship hit a mine... and sank.
  13. Do you have her phone number? Keep it. Was her dog named Lucky?
  14. Swordman tells the tale on the Sapper thread of a squaddie during the WW2 invasion of Europe who fell into a ditch after being shot, where upon a burning haystack collapsed on him.

Then, as he staggered rearwards seeking first aid for the gunshot wound and the burns, he trod on a 'Shu' mine which blew his foot off!

Regarded himself as one of the lucky ones, apparrently.
  15. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violet_Jessop

I believe there was a New Zealander in the early 1980s, who decided there was probably going to be a nuclear war with the USSR and moved himself and his family to the most desolate, out-of-the-way place he could think of. At that time, most people had no idea where the Falkland Islands were.