• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Well done to the RLC Bomb smackers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/5001940.stm

Bomb evacuees allowed back home

Thousands of residents have been allowed to return to their homes after army bomb disposal experts removed a World War II device found in a garden.
The unexploded 500lb (227kg) German bomb was dug up in Christchurch, Dorset, on Friday by builders laying the foundations for an extension.

Up to 1,500 homes were evacuated during Friday and Saturday.

The bomb was taken to Lulworth military range 25 miles away and a controlled explosion was carried out on Sunday.

A police spokesman said the device was transported to the army base in the early hours of the morning, blown up and disposed of shortly before 0800 BST.
The team had been working on this device all weekend as far as I can see from the news , so well done all concerned.

Wasn't this the old Christchurch airfield site?

Royal Engineers I'm afraid Old Chaps............

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/4997782.stm

The Royal Logistics Corps, who are the scene, do not have the correct equipment to disarm the device so a team of Royal Engineers is now en route to the scene from near Stansted.
We'd have taken one look at it, seen the mud in the garden and called the Wedge straight away. Leave the digging to those who want to get muddy.

I am surprised the Royal Engineers massive PR machine hasn't sprung into action and sent the Corps Display Team to set up on the cordon like usual :oops:

I am also surprised that only 1,500 were evacuated...... evacuees usually run into the tens of thousands when the Wedge get involved.

Bomb_Doctor said:

The Royal Logistics Corps, who are the scene, do not have the correct equipment to disarm the device so a team of Royal Engineers is now en route to the scene from near Stansted.
We'd have taken one look at it, seen the mud in the garden and called the Wedge straight away. Leave the digging to those who want to get muddy.

I am surprised the Royal Engineers massive PR machine hasn't sprung into action and sent the Corps Display Team to set up on the cordon like usual :oops:

I am also surprised that only 1,500 were evacuated...... evacuees usually run into the tens of thousands when the Wedge get involved.

Spot on - PR machine is slow probably because it's interfering with someone's BBQ

What was the bomb? Was it 1000lb or 500lb. If it was either of sizes those was it really german? I thought the Germans built bombs in Metric - 250Kg or 500Kg?

Bomb_Doctor said:

Maybe that's because the RE have a role that is worthy of a PR Team. Any such organisation in the RLC would be hard pressed to generate enthusiasm for a car park full of pallets and a (non functional) mobile laundry service. On reflection, I suppose your formation HET rolling stunt team may be worth a second look.

Latest Threads