Well done to Lewisham Council - returning troops

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jim30, Nov 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Chased up my local council (Lewisham) to ask what plans they had for parades and also for free access to leisure facilities for HM Forces. The reply I received was below - not a bad result.

Dear Jim30
    Thank you very much for your email below. In answer to your queries:
    Lewisham Council are holding a reception evening on Monday 3rd December, hosted by the Mayor and the Council's Deputy Lieutenant for our returning soldiers. You would be most welcome to attend the reception. It is taking place in the Civic Suite from 7.30p.m. this Monday. If you would like to attend, please contact Derek Johnson in the Policy and Governance Team on 020 8314 8646.

The Council did not feel a parade was appropriate on this occasion and chose this way to honour all our returning service personnel.

With reference to your query on complimentary access to leisure, unfortunately Lewisham do not currently offer complimentary access for members of HM forces but Sport & Leisure Service are currently looking into ways for different groups to access leisure through a number of different referral routes. If you have any more feedback regarding leisure access please do not hesitate to contact me (details below).

Hope this has satisfactorily answered your query - if you require any additional information, please let me know.
  2. I asked similar questions to Liverpool City Council reference 2008 Rememberance Sunday.

I got:

"Your email has been forwarded to the relevant department"
  3. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Lewisham is an odd borough, I used to work at the Town Hall in Catford. It can go from being reasonably urban in the north-west, to really quite suburban in the south, it really is a diverse borough and this reply doesn't suprise me at all. Shame about the leisure facilities tho'...
  4. Is that the Nuclear-Free Zone of Lewisham? They used to be very uncomfortable with anything military, didn't they?
  5. Despite 3 Emails to the Hounslow Council regarding the return of 2 Mercian not even a reply.
  6. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

They have got alot better recently, I worked on their IT Rollout project in '05 with a couple of other ex Mil types and they were always perfectly friendly, even some of under-arm hair and beardy types!
  7. Don't hold your breath mate, like their comrades in Brent and Hillingdon they are far too concerned with mlaarticultural events and monitoring to worry about returning British troops.
  8. I know everyone detests Ken Kivingstone (may not have been up to him) but the some of the Mercians attended the Remembrance ceremony at City Hall and received a round of applause.......... :)
  9. I used to live in Hither Green :)
  10. is the smile because you moved away :D
  11. Well done to you Jim for having a go, you have shamed me into thinking that "I wish I had done that".

Tonight I will write / enquire as to what my local council plans to do for returing personel and if they have any plans to offer facilities at a reduced rate for all service personel.

Will keep you posted as to the outcome.

It has made me think though, that if we arranged some kind of cordinated campaign via ARRSE, in a smart way, we might actually achieve something for our boys & girls, similiar to the Americans. Free / reduced travel, leisure etc

Does anybody on here have any high profile friends in the media / industry that might assist and get behind a campaign?

Just an idea, but I would be willing to assist in anyway and I am sure that others feel the same.

Thats it, have a good day

12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

There's no point in my town - they are all communists and corrupt as hell. They never gave the T.A. unit the freedom of the town, and they have no returning troops! Even the T.A. unit is long gone.

All my council has left is overzealous parking 'attendants', outreach workers, single mothers, corrupt officials, high crime and a large number of unpaid brownshirts, soon to be replaced by red fascists (an oxymoron in anywhere but Hastings).
  13. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

one word... Clarkson!
  14. Since when was Hounslow in Mercia? I'd have thought that was PWRR territory, the land of the Middle Saxons, but I'm happy to be contradicted.

And to Biped, trains leave Hastings regularly. Having been commissioned into the old C Coy 5Queens, I can heartily recommend their use!