Well done the Nurses!

Military nurses celebrate their degrees at First Passing Out Parade

On 16 February 2005 thirty military nurses and Operating Department Practitioners who are graduating today from the University of Central England (UCE) celebrated their degrees and diplomas with the first Passing Out Parade at HMS Forward in Birmingham.

Captain Ray Holyer RN, Director of Training at the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine (RCDM) took the salute from the students.

Dr Peter Knight CBE, the Vice Chancellor of the University of Central England presented prizes to two students. The Commandant's prize for the Best Overall Student was presented to Corporal Sue Tant of the Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps. She lives in Harborne in Birmingham.

Leading Naval Nurse Steve Jezard received the Peters' Prize for Best Naval Student of 2004. LNN Jezard is in the Queen Alexandra's Royal Naval Nursing Service. He lives in Redditch, Worcestershire with his wife and four children.

Whilst studying for his diploma at the University of Central England he has been actively helping his local Sea Cadet Corps and has led a team of his colleagues at the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine with a Community Development Project.

The first full cohort of students graduated from UCE in September 2004 with considerable success. Of those completing the BSc (Hons) programme, 33% achieved a 1st Class Honours award, far outreaching the national average of 5%. Of the Dip HE students, 58% achieved a commendation or above.

Commander Caroline Williams QARNNS said:

"We were extremely proud to welcome our graduates and their guests to this important ceremony, which marked the culmination of 2 or 3 years of continuous study. They have been excellent students and it is testament to their hard work, tenacity and commitment and to the excellence of their achievement and their training that they passed out at HMS Forward today."

Dr Peter Knight, Vice Chancellor of UCE said:

"We are delighted that UCE's collaboration with the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine has proved successful with these students being the first to formally graduate upon completion of their courses at UCE."

The Defence School of Health Care Studies (DSHCS) was formed within the Faculty of Health and Community Care, University of Central England (UCE) in July 2001.

It is unique in that it operates as part of the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine (RCDM) whilst also working in partnership with UCE.

As part of this partnership the DSHCS provides pre-and post registration education for defence and civilian operating department practitioners, and pre and post registration education for defence nurses.

The DSHCS also provides pastoral support and welfare for defence radiographer students studying at UCE.

UCE has warmly welcomed staff and students from DSHCS. Civilian and defence personnel Study and work alongside one another on a daily basis.

Since 2001 DSHCS has achieved validation of the Diploma in Operating Department Practice, resulting in UCE becoming the first university in the UK to offer an all diploma programme, and validation of a defence specific nursing degree, the BSc (Hons) in Defence Nursing Studies.

The Peters' Prize Fund was created in 1965 following a kind donation by Mr Arthur Peters. At that time Mr Peters' wife was an in-patient of the Royal Naval Hospital Haslar and he was so impressed by the care and dedication shown by the junior naval nurses when looking after his wife, that he created a prize. This was originally awarded to the best practical first year student nurse. In 1989 following the establishment of the Diploma Nursing Course, the prize was subsequently awarded to the best all round nurse at the end of training. This tradition continues today.

The Centre for Defence Medicine was formally opened by HRH The Princess Royal on 2 Apr 2001. It received Royal status and became the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine (RCDM) in April 2002.

RCDM is the focus for military medical training and research. The partnership with the University Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust enables treatment of Armed Forces personnel within the Trusts hospitals.

Military doctors and nurses treat both NHS and military patients. The partnership benefits both the Trust and the MOD as the Trust gains skilled doctors and nurses, and the MOD medical personnel have the opportunity to broaden their range of skills.
Well done them!! :)

For those that can, click here for the story!

dui-lai said:
My Lama is dead......may God love and look after her.....we had many a good night together.
OMG, DL, I've just noticed, tragic news

and so soon after her brief appearance in the "Exercising your right to vote" thread, too

so it WAS a she, eh? Some of us did wonder

oh yes, and it is not time to put a stop to these vile QA pie-eating girth-expanding fantasies? I know who you are, gentlemen. I wouldnt mind personally, but a certain ex-QA has noticed me having to swiftly close my laptop screen while I am online, and she is beginning to act suspicious.

And... Well done the Nurses!

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I don't see why we can't congratulate them without sniping. Praising the achievements of one group does not have to be done at the expence of another.

So well done for passing out, well done for getting your degree!

hackle said:
oh yes, and it is not time to put a stop to these vile QA pie-eating girth-expanding fantasies?
NEVER...NEVER.....As long as I draw breath then the QAs will be abused :twisted:

Hackle-the-yellow-one said:
I know who you are, gentlemen. I wouldnt mind personally, but a certain ex-QA has noticed me having to swiftly close my laptop screen while I am online, and she is beginning to act suspicious.

And... Well done the Nurses!
Stand up to her....are you a man or a mouse..........just put squeek then Hackle :roll:

Congratulations to all the nurses who passed out!!

The lads+lasses out on telic eagerly await there next shipment of morale! sorry i mean nurses :wink:

does this mean that the full compliment will arrive at the Medical Regiments soon :?: 8O

Oh go on then congratulations on passing your exams :?:

I really dont see why we are congratulating, we havent congratulated anyone else on passing their own chosen professional courses ?

So why nurses and ODP's ?

are they somehow special :roll:

what about a shout out to all the nurses and ODP's that have gone before the Birmingham 30 well done to all of them as well :!:

What about me......don't I get a congratulations for passing my class one so many years ago.....and what about my degree and my masters.......I also did my driving test and passed that.......also got a black belt in the art of cunnilingus :twisted:

D-L Wrote:

What about me......don't I get a congratulations for passing my class one so many years ago.....and what about my degree and my masters.......I also did my driving test and passed that.......also got a black belt in the art of cunnilingus
OK just for D-L :roll:

WELL DONE AND CONGRATULATIONS

ViciousCircle said:
So why nurses and ODP's ?
are they somehow special :roll:
the latter are, yes. :D

ViciousCircle said:
D-L Wrote:

What about me......don't I get a congratulations for passing my class one so many years ago.....and what about my degree and my masters.......I also did my driving test and passed that.......also got a black belt in the art of cunnilingus
OK just for D-L :roll:

WELL DONE AND CONGRATULATIONS
thank you, I feel so humble....I would like to thank my mum, dad.......oh, my coat....thanks so much :oops:

RiojaDOC said:
I have no desire to write speeches for any special needs group.
Now that was not called for whas it :?

Really you Doctors calling us Techies special needs.......hello pot this is kettle over :wink:

We all have our special needs.....mine is Llamas and yours is having your ego massaged every other day :twisted:

Yes well done to the nurses, and for all the nurses that came before them that passed something, in fact everyone that has passed something well done, and for those that tried but did not pass well done for trying, Hurrah!![/b]

Latest Threads