Well done the Booties.......

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Banker, Nov 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Banker

Banker On ROPs

2. It's nice to know that all that time spent filming beach assaults for Top Gear didn't go to waste!

3. Cow

Cow LE

Nice show of force in case more people get kidnapped. Shows that if someone gets a set of balls and orders a rescue we've got the people to carry it out.

4. this was on a thread the other day, from what I read it was basically an armoured taxi service.....the in-action on that shit hole beggers belief.....that said Cameron has come to save the day by allowing PMC's to be tooled up on British registered boats.....but only in certain waters......other countries have been doing that for ages.....cheers Dave

5. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

From what I understood of the (ahem) Daily Mail story - which is the sole source of this piece - this was not a "daring raid" raid to seize a rebel leader, it was an unopposed landing followed by a drive to an RV, where the lads picked up a sympathetic tribal elder and couriered him back to the beach. From there, he was taken out to the fleet for a discussion with FCO officials.

Nothing wrong with an operation like this - glad to see that we are cultivating allies in this part of the world - but hardly a commando raid.

Will be interested to see more on this as info becomes available.

Or not.

6. Daily Mail aside, if it was all that simple and the locals were happy about the event they would have just sent a helicopter in for a quick pickup.
    Not sending a noisy helicopter suggests something a bit more complex than providing a taxi ride.

7. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Noisy helicopter?

Vikings landed from the sea are, of course, are far quieter and lower profile...

8. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

"I'm not allowed to say how many I Pods were involved in the mission but I counted them all out and I counted them all back in again"

• Like Like x 1
  9. Or perhaps 'they' didn't want to send a helicopter over an area which is full of nutjobs with RPGs and risk losing a few million in equipment and of course the loss of life when all they are doing is picking up one old bloke.

10. You might be right. I've no idea.
    However that would be much the same as what I said wouldn't it?

11. Better PR photo ops using an LCVP and being all studly on a beach.
    I'm sure MOD_RSS is polishing up the dit as we speak.

12. Yes, but helicopters don't exactly have a great record for operating over somalia do they.

And the only ones available were probably a lynx that decided it didn't want to play ball and a merlin several hundred miles further away on a RFA. If only we had a carrier you know a floating british airfield where ever we needed it to be (dons MK6a and checks reservation at the bunker)

Perhaps an aspiring bootie in a few years could right the novel, Somali Strike by R. M. Bootie take the convoy scenes from blackhawk down and replace the hummers with Bv206's and no casualties.

14. Didn't the Seals do it live on CNN when they landed?

15. If there was a ship close enough to launch a landing craft, there was a ship close enough to send a helicopter.
    If they chose not to use a helicopter it would suggest they had a reason for it.