Well done the Booties.......

It's nice to know that all that time spent filming beach assaults for Top Gear didn't go to waste!

Nice show of force in case more people get kidnapped. Shows that if someone gets a set of balls and orders a rescue we've got the people to carry it out.

this was on a thread the other day, from what I read it was basically an armoured taxi service.....the in-action on that shit hole beggers belief.....that said Cameron has come to save the day by allowing PMC's to be tooled up on British registered boats.....but only in certain waters......other countries have been doing that for ages.....cheers Dave

Andy_S

LE
Book Reviewer
From what I understood of the (ahem) Daily Mail story - which is the sole source of this piece - this was not a "daring raid" raid to seize a rebel leader, it was an unopposed landing followed by a drive to an RV, where the lads picked up a sympathetic tribal elder and couriered him back to the beach. From there, he was taken out to the fleet for a discussion with FCO officials.

Nothing wrong with an operation like this - glad to see that we are cultivating allies in this part of the world - but hardly a commando raid.

Will be interested to see more on this as info becomes available.

Or not.

From what I understood of the (ahem) Daily Mail story - which is the sole source of this piece - this was not a "daring raid" raid to seize a rebel leader, it was an unopposed landing followed by a drive to an RV, where the lads picked up a sympathetic tribal elder and couriered him back to the beach. From there, he was taken out to the fleet for a discussion with FCO officials.

Nothing wrong with an operation like this - glad to see that we are cultivating allies in this part of the world - but hardly a commando raid.

Will be interested to see more on this as info becomes available.

Or not.
Daily Mail aside, if it was all that simple and the locals were happy about the event they would have just sent a helicopter in for a quick pickup.
Not sending a noisy helicopter suggests something a bit more complex than providing a taxi ride.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
"I'm not allowed to say how many I Pods were involved in the mission but I counted them all out and I counted them all back in again"

Daily Mail aside, if it was all that simple and the locals were happy about the event they would have just sent a helicopter in for a quick pickup.
Not sending a noisy helicopter suggests something a bit more complex than providing a taxi ride.
Or perhaps 'they' didn't want to send a helicopter over an area which is full of nutjobs with RPGs and risk losing a few million in equipment and of course the loss of life when all they are doing is picking up one old bloke.

Or perhaps 'they' didn't want to send a helicopter over an area which is full of nutjobs with RPGs and risk losing a few million in equipment and of course the loss of life when all they are doing is picking up one old bloke.
You might be right. I've no idea.
However that would be much the same as what I said wouldn't it?

Better PR photo ops using an LCVP and being all studly on a beach.
I'm sure MOD_RSS is polishing up the dit as we speak.

Noisy helicopter?

Vikings landed from the sea are, of course, are far quieter and lower profile...
Yes, but helicopters don't exactly have a great record for operating over somalia do they.

And the only ones available were probably a lynx that decided it didn't want to play ball and a merlin several hundred miles further away on a RFA. If only we had a carrier you know a floating british airfield where ever we needed it to be (dons MK6a and checks reservation at the bunker)

Perhaps an aspiring bootie in a few years could right the novel, Somali Strike by R. M. Bootie take the convoy scenes from blackhawk down and replace the hummers with Bv206's and no casualties.

Better PR photo ops using an LCVP and being all studly on a beach.
I'm sure MOD_RSS is polishing up the dit as we speak.
[video=youtube;sMWLV5Ad0vs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMWLV5Ad0vs&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

And the only ones available were probably a lynx that decided it didn't want to play ball and a merlin several hundred miles further away on a RFA. If only we had a carrier you know a floating british airfield where ever we needed it to be (dons MK6a and checks reservation at the bunker)
If there was a ship close enough to launch a landing craft, there was a ship close enough to send a helicopter.
If they chose not to use a helicopter it would suggest they had a reason for it.

plonking some mobile armour bristling with weaponry into a country has to have a wee bit of value in the "**** you" force projection stakes

you cynical lot

Its not an RAF RSS feed on how smudge has gone from nato standard to Julie andrews wets in an attempt to lower his BMI

On another note, cameron opening up shooty shooty potential on commercial shipping means royal when he leaves will probably have more ticks in boxs for high paid, sunshine swanning around with minimal risk

Per Mare Per Terram gents :)

If there was a ship close enough to launch a landing craft, there was a ship close enough to send a helicopter.
If they chose not to use a helicopter it would suggest they had a reason for it.
I think i read the raid was launched from a Bay in which case i don't think they have a permenant hanger like Albion and Bulwark although i've seen pics of them with what looks like a giant metal shed on the back so i don't know if they'd have their own helicopter on a permenant basis you'd have to ask one of the sailors when they role onto this thread. Looking at the RN site it seems the rest of our Amphibs which are now being called Assault ships which i think is very star wars but i like it are in home waters or in port.