Well Done Obama, Well Done Cameron

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Whet, Jul 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The BBCs John Simpson has just spoken to the spokesman for the Taliban in Afghanistan. The turnbaned one said

"Why should we talk if we have the upper hand, and the foreign troops are considering withdrawal, and there are differences in the ranks of our enemies"

Many thanks to our leaders for giving succor to the enemy.

Big topic on the Beeb now.

2. What a surprise.

The Taliban guess correctly - based on the overwhelming stream of whiney, defeatist shite coming form the Western media - that NATO/ISAF (or more correctly their political masters) don't have the stomach for the fight and are falling over each other to 'lay down a timetable for withdrawal' (i.e. cut and run), so they rightly decide that negotiations would be pointless. From their point of view it's a no-brainer - they have time on their side.

When are the politicians going to learn that telling the enemy you cannot wait to leave is idiotic?

3. when they care more about peoples lives than about votes.

4. Ah yes, DEMOCRACY, that's what this is all about...apparently. I hope the dead appreciate the irony.

5. It's not just the media, is it. There's an enormous chunk of public opinion that would like to see troops withdraw. And the troops come from democratic countries so their political leaders begin to see chinks in their electoral armour when public support falters.

I find it ironic that the public has such little stomach for our actions. The military machine isn't falling apart in Afghanistan, and the public, on the home front, don't actually have to "stomach" the war at all.

6. the public don't want people killing eachother to make rich people richer.

7. er....the public don't want muslim terrorists murdering people either.

Please explain how a taliban suicide bomber killing people makes a rich person richer ?

Please explain how security forces killing a suicide bomber makes a rich person richer ?

8. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Nor do they truely wish to do anything for the truely benighted of the world, they only pay lipservice to it: when it comes to doing anything proactive they run away saying its not their responsibility, feckin hypocrites.

9. Politicians - who would trust them eh?

What was that last bit of paid emplyment you tried to get Whet? Oh that's right - elected local politician!

Did any politicians stand on a principled ticket of "we will stand firm for what is right and fight until the job is done"? Clegg, Broone, Cameron, Salmond, Griffin, whoever is claiming to lead UKIP? Nope - none of them have moral courage, just an eye on the latest opinion polls. Hasn't it ever been thus?

10. Fixed that for you....

11. 'Winning' in Afghanistan doesnt really lie in either the US or UKs best interests, the costs and scale of losses needed for such a victory far far far outweighs any possible security risk offset or importantly the moral victory of creating a state in a country that doesn't want one.

There is no longer the political capital to sustain a war, nor is there sufficient military resource in a cash strapped economy.

Leave the savages to their self-imposed orthodox fate and smash AQ, the actual enemy, where ever they pop up.

There is no moral courage for winning in afghanistan, such statements fit the crass patriotic jingoism of the Yanks but we British have always had a rational eye for war. We don't even have the motivation of protecting our Indian interests and holdings, we have an ephemeral domestic security threat which has largely moved elsewhere AND worries about Pakistan's security. Which as a country which is involved in its own civil war and is largely orchestrating the enemy in Afghanistan I say leave them to it and wait for the Indians to sort it out.

12. Sadly the Islamic terrorist threat comes from much closer than Afghanistan. Our own cities.
    Not many people believe that war in Afghaistan makes the UK a safer place.

Just this once I find myself in areement with Whet, both Obama and Cameron are showing a great deall of stupidity on this.

13. 2 words; arms industry

not to forget oil and gas

whoops that's what i meant!

14. I would disagree with Jag and Whet though, Obama is clearly trying to snap the Karzi administration out of its malaise at best, at worst its a rallying call to the Northern Alliance to get ready to give the Pashtun a bloody big slap when ISAF pulls out.

In the end we cocked up trying to get the Pashtun involved when we should have just supported the Northern Alliance to the detriment of the Taliban south. Divide and Conquer would fit far more succesful models for victory in Afghanistan than the 'Comprehensive approach'. Also it gives an internal enemy to focus on - not sure how well abusing ethnic and tribal politics would go down in the West though.

15. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You may have point there ASI, worked for us in the past. Hit & Run.