Well Done, Ash!

She's taken the tennis world by surprise. Top of her game and decides to chuck it in at 25. She's won all that she wants to win, she's already made a mint and has decided that keeping on is just too much stress, strain, sacrifice and bother for something that will now be only repetition until such time as the inevitable happens. She's not addicted to the competitiveness or the lifestyle and realises that there are probably other things in life.

What a contrast from Serena Williams or our own Andy Murray who is so addicted to the lifestyle that he is incapable of listening to his own body.

Doubtless there will be those who will condemn her decision; the fans who can only get their thrills vicariously or the officials and sponsors who want her to keep on performing like a seal for their own profit and glory until they've wrung her dry . I think she has made an excellent decision. Best of luck to her.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer

She's taken the tennis world by surprise. Top of her game and decides to chuck it in at 25. She's won all that she wants to win, she's already made a mint and has decided that keeping on is just too much stress, strain, sacrifice and bother for something that will now be only repetition until such time as the inevitable happens. She's not addicted to the competitiveness or the lifestyle and realises that there are probably other things in life.

What a contrast from Serena Williams or our own Andy Murray who is so addicted to the lifestyle that he is incapable of listening to his own body.

Doubtless there will be those who will condemn her decision; the fans who can only get their thrills vicariously or the officials and sponsors who want her to keep on performing like a seal for their own profit and glory until they've wrung her dry . I think she has made an excellent decision. Best of luck to her.
I think she'll live to regret it.

Perhaps not now, but in a year or three, when her stardom has dwindled to nothing but a warm ember and she is restless and thinks about how she could've had another decade at the top. She's a fiercely competitive person (you simply don't get to the top if you aren't) and without that challenge, I think she will feel a little hollow and unsatisfied.

I hope I'm wrong and that she is genuinely happy with her decision, but I don't think so.

Also what a contrast from certain individuals when other young people in the sport stand up for themselves.

I have to admit it came as a bit of a surprise when I read of her decision today but when I thought about it she has never appeared to be cut from the same cloth as many of her competitors and, perhaps, what she said is right. She has attained what she set out to do so why keep doing it over and over again. I noticed that she also announced her engagement to her fiancé at the same time so best wishes to both of them.

Also what a contrast from certain individuals when other young people in the sport stand up for themselves.

Thank you for introducing something that exactly sets the contrast.

i) A reasoned personal decision delivered to the tennis world and the world in general in a manner that was neither undignified nor discourteous to the sport that had nurtured her and from which she had derived benefit.

ii) A few temperamental flounces and two fingers waved very publicly at the terms of her contract, followed by a decision, nevertheless, to continue in the sport that she claimed was causing her 'mental health issues'.

Can you tell which one was which?

Thank you for introducing something that exactly sets the contrast.

i) A reasoned personal decision delivered to the tennis world and the world in general in a manner that was neither undignified nor discourteous to the sport that had nurtured her and from which she had derived benefit.

ii) A few temperamental flounces and two fingers waved very publicly at the terms of her contract, followed by a decision, nevertheless, to continue in the sport that she claimed was causing her 'mental health issues'.

Can you tell which one was which?

Looks to me like two women standing up for themselves.

Good of you to sneeringly dismiss people who say that they have mental health issues. I bet you will be the first to insist a soldier seeking help for MH issues should immediately lose his job.

It's in no one's contract to be abused by the press so dont talk ******* bollocks.

Thats the way to do it.
Image1.jpg

Stacker1

Embarrassed that you originally sneered at a young woman standing up for herself and now you are dismissing MH issues?
I stand by what I said in the post relating to that matter. It's a very highly paid ball game ffs. Everyone is a volunteer and is there because they choose to be. It's not WW3. If it's not for them, they should take a leaf out of AB's book and PUFO.

Who said that I was sneering? Perhaps I'm not as gullible as you in accepting poor behaviour as MH issues. I notice that she's still out there hawking her arse on the circuit. Strange thing for someone to do in such a damaging environment.

Good luck to her indeed, she knows what she wants and is following her heart. She's made a mint and will still be young enough to have a come-back if she feels the need.

Heather Watson should keep at it just so we can continue looking at her pants. She's pretty crap at the game and rarely gets beyond the first round of anything, so blink and you'll miss them. But there's more to tennis than... er... tennis.

I’m no Tennis fan, but I reckon Ash Barty is a very talented all round Sports star. Apparently she has also played Cricket in the Big Bash and has a very low Golf handicap - speculation is she may be looking at taking up Golf professionally sometime soon. A wonderful role model to the indigenous population (and all Australians). She is extremely popular in her own Country. Reminds me in a way of Cathy Freeman.
Good Luck to her, whatever her future holds.

Edited to rectify spelling mistake.

Last edited:
Call me picky, but if you're going to swan around on red carpets in haute couture then you make sure that you don't have tennis shoe white feet and sports bra tan lines. She's a woman. I shouldn't have to tell her these things.

Thankfully no tatts though, so I'd probably still do her.
Stick to your forehand, or your backhand, or any hand come to that.
It's as close as you'll get.
Certainly won't be practicing your lob.

Latest Threads