Welfare Reform Act 2012 - AFPIP

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by EScotia, Dec 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Link from the SPVA site informing on AFPIP:

What's New

• Like Like x 2
  2. Dave, don't hang your hat on existing veterans not being "invited" to make a claim for a PIP. The key part in the link you provided is:

Esther McVey, a work and pensions minister, told the Commons that the vast majority of these assessments would now be made no earlier than October 2015.This would allow time for an independent review of the first phase of the switch to be carried out in 2014.

The vast majority of claimants will not be veterans! On the link I provided it mentions:

Existing claimants

There is no automatic transfer from Disability Living Allowance (DLA) to Personal Independence Payment. Between October 2013 and March 2016 DWP will write to claimants already getting DLA to invite them to make a claim for Personal Independence Payment. They will be individually assessed against the new entitlement criteria.

It would not surprise me one bit if SPVA/DWP sent out "invitations to apply" to veterans in receipt of DLA on the original time scale and logged them awaiting the Governments direction after the result of the independent review.

3. I get mobility higher rate care middle indef ........ I have read everthing on PIP Going my gut feeling is I will get PIP lower mobility higher care when i get invited to move

good info here Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - Disability Rights UK Factsheet F60

try this test

Personal Independence Payment self-assessment Benefits and Work

4. what doesnt seem to have been solved is the issue of disregards on war pensions (and equivilent payments) and how they will be dealt with under universal credit.

the big problem is housing benefit is now combined into universal credit.

different local disregards apply to housing benefit.

Currently all but 2 local authorities have a full disregard of war pension income when it comes to calculating housing benefit.

If under the new universal credit, that gets abolished then war pensioners will be back to the standard mandatory disregard of £10 a week.

That could make a massive difference to a lot of pensioners in terms of getting help for housing. Think about it, there could be many pensioners now with thier pension disregarded and hence getting hundreds of pounds in housing benefit a month suddenly finding they arent entitled to a single penny under universal credit.

I know the RBL have raised the issue with the aim of getting a full disregard across the board with the housing element of universal credit, but the cynic in me quite rightly IMO thinks the government would rather simplify to the mandatory £10 and also save themselves a load of cash, even if it adversely affects disabled veterans.

5. under universal credits war pensions are disregarded I sent the drat stuff to legion when spotted this is what came back

from the Royal British Legion here.

Just to let you know that I have some good news regarding Universal Credit and War Pensions. I have read the draft regulations that you mentioned. War Pensions are to be disregarded fully under Universal Credit. They will be disregarded for the housing element and other elements ie standard income element etc. I have not looked at this properly or in any detail or undertaken any proper analysis but it may mean that War Pensioners will be better off under Universal Credit. The same will apply for AFCS payments.

In addition anyone receiving War Pension or AFCS payments will be exempt from the benefit cap.

I am sure you will be pleased by this news. If you wish to read this for yourself details can be found in the explanatory memorandum that accompanies the draft regulations. I have attached a copy of this document to this email. You will want to read pages 33 – 39.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/uc-draft-regs-2012-memorandum.pdf

Please let me know if you require any further information.

Regards

Policy Adviser

The Royal British Legion

• Like Like x 1