Welfare Phone Card

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by DeeJay, Jun 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. During a discussion a couple of days ago the subject of using pre-paid welfare phone cards on military networks came up.

Having never bought one myself can anyone enlighten me as to how much Paradigm are charging a minute for people to use an MoD network to call the UK?
  2. Not sure about the pre-paid over the counter ones, but I know that you can top up the buckshee 30 mins a week on your issue Paradigm welfare cards by paying by credit card, I did this for the first half of Herrick 10 'cos the missus was heavily pregnant and I wanted frequent updates...

It worked out that £10 bought approx 3 hrs for calls to a UK or German landline, though this halved to around 1hr 30 mins if you were calling mobile or other international numbers.
  3. I gather you are talking about not on Ops, If so I used to do it in Germany when I lived in for a bit and didn’t have a phone in my room. Bought them from behind the bar (about 10 Euros for an hour IICR), the only issue I had was finding a phone with an international outside line.

If you are talking about Ops, you can top up your issue one to supplement the 30 free minutes a week, but I don't know the current costs and therfore have not answered the question :D :D
  4. No I am talking about on ops. The issue I have is that the MoD is paying Paradigm for satellite time for our operational systems and then Paradigm are selling time on those systems to mil personnel.