Welfare facility at Birmingham International Airport

Good idea?

  • Yes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
#1
Having recently travel in the US, I happened upon the United Services Organisation in an airport. Having been to a facility in Kuwait, I ventured in and was welcomed with open arms. I asked about the USOs in the US and was told that they are at all aiports where military personnel transit through; they were manned by volunteers and funded by donations and produce fromlocal and national supplers. Their website is here.

That got me thinking. It would not be feasible to have sometine similar for every airport in the UK but as Birmingham International is the hub for military troopers, then would it not be good to have one there?? I have seen that they are trying to raise awareness of the military connections with the airport so this could be an extension of that.

Any thoughts?

GBTD
 
#2
It would never happen due to 'cultural sensitivity' issues in the area. Sadly
 

oldbaldy

LE
Moderator
#3
goatbagthedruid said:
but as Birmingham International is the hub for military troopers,
Any thoughts?

GBTD
Have they moved Brize?
 
#5
oldbaldy said:
goatbagthedruid said:
but as Birmingham International is the hub for military troopers,
Any thoughts?

GBTD
Have they moved Brize?
They must have done, the last time I was due to fly into it, we ended up in Lyneham.
 

oldbaldy

LE
Moderator
#7
mistersoft said:
oldbaldy said:
goatbagthedruid said:
but as Birmingham International is the hub for military troopers,
Any thoughts?

GBTD
Have they moved Brize?
They must have done, the last time I was due to fly into it, we ended up in Lyneham.
Now that could be the subject of a whole new thread. :D
 
#8
I ventured into the one in miami and was very impressed with the facilities, not an executive lounge by any means but welcoming and free. If I was stuck in the airport for an extended period it would make the wait a lot more comfortable!
 
#9
THIS only happened a couple of years ago at Brum. You'd like to think there has been some improvement and the (then) crossed wires are now no longer crossed.

More than 200 soldiers on their way home from Afghanistan had to strip off their uniforms on the tarmac at Birmingham International Airport and don civilian clothes before being allowed access to the terminal building.

More than 200 soldiers on their way home from Afghanistan had to strip off their uniforms on the tarmac at Birmingham International Airport and don civilian clothes before being allowed access to the terminal building.

The charter flight was bringing the men back for Christmas leave when it was diverted from its intended destination at RAF Brize Norton because of bad weather, the Ministry of Defence confirmed yesterday.
And you'll notice bloody Brize was on the move again. :lol:
 
#10
mistersoft said:
THIS only happened a couple of years ago at Brum. You'd like to think there has been some improvement and the (then) crossed wires are now no longer crossed.

More than 200 soldiers on their way home from Afghanistan had to strip off their uniforms on the tarmac at Birmingham International Airport and don civilian clothes before being allowed access to the terminal building.

More than 200 soldiers on their way home from Afghanistan had to strip off their uniforms on the tarmac at Birmingham International Airport and don civilian clothes before being allowed access to the terminal building.

The charter flight was bringing the men back for Christmas leave when it was diverted from its intended destination at RAF Brize Norton because of bad weather, the Ministry of Defence confirmed yesterday.[/quote

I'm waiting for all the "ISLAMOPHILES" ie. the usual suspects, to leap in & say their (the muslims) sensibilities have to be RESPECTED!
W..K..S!!
FFS why on earth do we continually appease these cnuts, if they dont like the UK & what we do, F..K OFF back to whichever S..thole they came from!! :twisted:
 
#11
goatbagthedruid said:
Having recently travel in the US, I happened upon the United Services Organisation in an airport. Having been to a facility in Kuwait, I ventured in and was welcomed with open arms. I asked about the USOs in the US and was told that they are at all aiports where military personnel transit through; they were manned by volunteers and funded by donations and produce fromlocal and national supplers. Their website is here.

That got me thinking. It would not be feasible to have sometine similar for every airport in the UK but as Birmingham International is the hub for military troopers, then would it not be good to have one there?? I have seen that they are trying to raise awareness of the military connections with the airport so this could be an extension of that.

Any thoughts?

GBTD
As far as i know there isnt one in Shannon airport where they stop off to refuel and service men and women stock up on duty free


Seems like a good idea, atleast they look after their forces
 
#12
bunk said:
goatbagthedruid said:
Having recently travel in the US, I happened upon the United Services Organisation in an airport. Having been to a facility in Kuwait, I ventured in and was welcomed with open arms. I asked about the USOs in the US and was told that they are at all aiports where military personnel transit through; they were manned by volunteers and funded by donations and produce fromlocal and national supplers. Their website is here.

That got me thinking. It would not be feasible to have sometine similar for every airport in the UK but as Birmingham International is the hub for military troopers, then would it not be good to have one there?? I have seen that they are trying to raise awareness of the military connections with the airport so this could be an extension of that.

Any thoughts?

GBTD
As far as i know there isnt one in Shannon airport where they stop off to refuel and service men and women stock up on duty free


Seems like a good idea, atleast they look after their forces
Not many Americans live around Shannon Airport though....
 
#13
Nice to have or needed? If needed, should we take it further? Birmingham International Airport are keen to get involved with the troops - perhaps they could fund this? Free tea or coffee for each member of Armed FOrces who show ID cards to Information Office?

Thoughts?

GBTD
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads