Welfare facility at Birmingham International Airport

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by goatbagthedruid, Jan 29, 2010.

?
  1. Yes

88.9%
  2. Maybe

11.1%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having recently travel in the US, I happened upon the United Services Organisation in an airport. Having been to a facility in Kuwait, I ventured in and was welcomed with open arms. I asked about the USOs in the US and was told that they are at all aiports where military personnel transit through; they were manned by volunteers and funded by donations and produce fromlocal and national supplers. Their website is here.

That got me thinking. It would not be feasible to have sometine similar for every airport in the UK but as Birmingham International is the hub for military troopers, then would it not be good to have one there?? I have seen that they are trying to raise awareness of the military connections with the airport so this could be an extension of that.

Any thoughts?

GBTD

2. It would never happen due to 'cultural sensitivity' issues in the area. Sadly

3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Have they moved Brize?

4. Trooping to Germany and NI - I should have expanded.

GBTD

5. They must have done, the last time I was due to fly into it, we ended up in Lyneham.

6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Now that could be the subject of a whole new thread. :D

7. I ventured into the one in miami and was very impressed with the facilities, not an executive lounge by any means but welcoming and free. If I was stuck in the airport for an extended period it would make the wait a lot more comfortable!

8. THIS only happened a couple of years ago at Brum. You'd like to think there has been some improvement and the (then) crossed wires are now no longer crossed.

And you'll notice bloody Brize was on the move again. :lol:

10. As far as i know there isnt one in Shannon airport where they stop off to refuel and service men and women stock up on duty free

Seems like a good idea, atleast they look after their forces

11. Not many Americans live around Shannon Airport though....

12. Nice to have or needed? If needed, should we take it further? Birmingham International Airport are keen to get involved with the troops - perhaps they could fund this? Free tea or coffee for each member of Armed FOrces who show ID cards to Information Office?

Thoughts?

GBTD