Welcome to the Sports Direct Stadium

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by TheIronDuke, Nov 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

The last time I was speechless was when I got bricked over the back of the head by a big glass ashtray in the Boxers Arms.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2011/11/10/shock-as-st-james-park-renamed-sports-direct-arena-61634-29751153/

Y
    e may mock but are your owners watching with interest? £20m a year? OK, some smaller clubs have taken the money - York play at the Kit-Kat Stadium and Scarborough play at The Stadium of Chips. But fat lad Ashley is the first owner to try renaming a Premiership stadium with a 100+ year history.

The Emirates, Reebok and Etihad stadiums are all new-build.

How long before you arrange to meet your mates outside the Just For Men Stadium?

2. Wendyball?

More likely the KY Jelly Stadium or the Swarovski Crystal Blingdome.

3. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I concur. St James has been a proud name for many a long year, in good times and bad. Wor Jackie will be spinning like a top.

4. The Tellygraf has a good take on it.
    Makes financial sense and NUFC are in a much sounder economic position than many other clubs now.
    Could have been handled much better instead of just whacking us over the head with the metaphorical big glass ashleytray. The action is understandable, the PR is grade 1 shite.
    Provided the cash goes into a warchest for the manager this can be lived through, but it needs to be seen by supporters to be benefitting the team directly.

That said, having been black and white since I learned what a football was and spent saturdays as a lad trying to see over, round, and in some cases, under the taller members of the human race to try to see the games I am devastated by this.
    I for one will refuse to use the name and will continue to use the normal references, Like St James, or simply The Toon. It might be a blow but we can get round it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fear not, you will still be able to visit St James' Park.
    Bit of a commute from Newcastle though

Exeter City | Club | St James Park | St James Park

6. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

As a saints supporter it was easier when we lost the dell and moved to st marys, as it was a move rather than a commerical renaming.

That said, the fans dont forget the history of the grounds any quicker than they do the history of the club - the money will come in handy and the fans will call it what suits - the important thing is the continuation of the club and the game that unfortuantely is only substainable at the moment through deals like this ;o(

7. Think LFC have been trying to flog naming rights for Kop for a while now.That's the way the game is going,sad but that's the modern way,driven by money.