• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Welcome to the cashless society

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
That's ok I went shopping early and used my MasterCard.
Cash is so ghastly.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ah what could possibly go wrong?

Visa outage: payment chaos after card network crashes – live updates

Answer is that you only need one leg of the complex chain of security and authorisations between card issuer, card scheme or bank, vendor and their acquiring processor to go titsup and it all stops.

Good news is that ATM'S should still vomit forth cash on debit cards. Until they run out of cash, that is...
Doesn't everyone carry Visa, Mastercard and Amex to avoid this nonsensical situation? I certainly do.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Always good to have a backstop and when I'm in the UK, pretty much everyone does take it - all supermarkets (bar Lidl) for instance.

Always good to have a backstop and when I'm in the UK, pretty much everyone does take it - all supermarkets (bar Lidl) for instance.
I binned my Amex several years ago when they trebled the annual fee.

Nor Aldi. Neither do councils for anything and none of the big internet/TV suppliers accept it (BT, Sky, Virgin, Talk Talk or Plusnet accept it).
But be grateful that Poundland do accept it.

I find Amex a 'do you take' card, which is fine until you find you only took your phone out and need fuel and have to go and ask before the nozzle goes in the tank.
That said, and more in keeping with the thread, I've discovered of late that there's a lot to be said for nice cold hard untraceable cash.
Sadly I doubt I will ever have the rat problem that Escobar did.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Nor Aldi. Neither do councils for anything and none of the big internet/TV suppliers accept it (BT, Sky, Virgin, Talk Talk or Plusnet accept it).
But be grateful that Poundland do accept it.
Like I said: backstop. Amazon accept it as do McDonald's if one is drunk and has the munchies.

I tend to use my Revolut Mastercard for the most part though.

Was surprised at the amount of abandoned shopping baskets today when people found that they couldn't pay for it. Aldi in Boscombe closed off two checkouts to store them in. Sainsburys had similar issues and massive queues. Lidl cracked me up as they had actually put a big sign up in the entrance saying "Cash Only. No Cards" yet people were still trying to pay by card and then dumping their baskets.

One of the shop girls in Lidl told me that because they didn't have enough staff to put the shopping back it would all (presumably meaning chilled/ frozen and fresh) would all have to be written off. If that is the case Europe wide can Visa take the financial hit for compensation?

Doesn't everyone carry Visa, Mastercard and Amex to avoid this nonsensical situation? I certainly do.
One my exes younger brothers went to Africa on his gap year.
Being sensible his mother arranged through her bank for him to have both Visa and Mastercard.
Due to some dodgy African airline mess up and him losing one card, the bank cancelled both.
Cue a month in Africa being bailed out by fellow travellers with no access to cash.
The bank issued both cards and had no way of keeping one of them active whilst the other was cancelled.
Lots of threats of lawsuits, but nothing could be done.
Multi millionaire mother closed down over a century of family business with the bank.

Moral of the story if you are going to rely on the principle that if one fails you can use the other.

Get them issued by separate banks/providers.

Last edited:
I thought you were bragging about moving to Venezuela from the thread title.

Apart from Waitrose, Morrisons, Sainsbury, Costco and Tesco.

Amex were losing market share by taking the piss on fees charged to merchants so wound their necks in.

I use mine for as much as possible, business included because of a British Airways Black Amex card.

Yes it costs but get 1.5 Avios for each £1 spent.

Spend £10k (easily done since Mrs B has a card on same account) and you get a free companion travel voucher for flights, so halves the Avios cost. Still have to cough for the Airport taxes and can be a PITA actually getting seats on Avios, but so far quids in