Welcome to Tehran - how Iran took control of Basra

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Pasty Boy, May 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I haven't seen this on any of the other Iraq threads so here is an interesting article from the Guardian on the Iranian influence in Basra city: http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,,2083387,00.html

A good article that paints a good picture of life in Basra, although fairly one sided. Remember of course that the Iraqis will aleways tell you what you want to hear - we do not know what slant the journalist was taking and what leading questions were asked.

In addition it fails to mention the Iraqi Army and their increased performance and the effect that they are having. They know that the province is heading towards PIC (Provincial Iraqi Control) later this year and hence are starting to sort out their own security forces. We all know about the problems with the police but attempts are being made to sort them out. Once a new governor is appointed, progress should follow.
  2. Never thought I would see an article like this from the Guardian.
  3. I hope that all the journos trolling through ARRSe will read the article and learn something about their craft. Ghaith Abdul-Ahad got his boots on the ground, presume he can speak the local language. He reports only what he witnesses himself, or uses the direct speech of the experts he spoke to. His opinions are kept to himself. UK journos be ashamed.
  4. From Pasty boy's link:

And if Christ appeared on the White House lawn he'd be arrested, shackled and hooded and sent to Guantanamo Bay for preaching peace to all men.
  5. I don't think its the first time the Guardian's had copy saying Tehran controlled Basra, that's hardly news. I can't remmember such a detailed depiction of their full spectrum dominance of its society in the paper though. Religous, social, commercial, governmental and millitary. They've got the place by the nads.

Key passage:
    The CIA were saying the Pasdaran were all over the South and the place was a nest of radical Islam before the invasion. Been at it since the 80s. No one listened. All that was heard was Ahmed the thiefs happy talk.

That oil port is the economic keystone of Iraq. It's a feckin disaster so it is.
  6. Along with Micheal Yon's recent articles embedded with Brit Infantry, this ranks among the best articles I have read all year.

As previously stated, it is detailed, honest and relies on first hand experience rather than heresay and propaganda.

And not opinionated or written to shock like most of the offerings from journos, oh and no qoutes from arrse to be seen :lol: .
  7. Given that the state infrastructure in Iraq was dismantled and the ruling class was rejected after the invasion I don't see how the present situation really could have been avoided without considerable loss of life on both sides. Native agents were relied on and the presumption that other state actors and non-state agents would not come in and fill the power vacuum left by the dismantling off the state is strange. Does the failure lie in the fact that the British and the Americans failed to realise or ignored the fact that the native agents that they were relying on or working with had links to Iran, in my view yes? Still I don't think the rise of the militias and so Iran in Iraq is uniquely a British mistake a comparable situation exists in Baghdad with the Americans. I would go further and argue that the Americans have actually embraced these Iranian backed militias - the prime example being SCIRI.