Welcome To New York City

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Sep 2, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "These vagabond shoes
    "Are longing to stray
    "Right through the very heart of it
    "New York, New York.
    "I wanna wake up in a city that doesn't sleep
    "And find I'm king of the hill, top of the heap!"

Something novel has been added to the New York experience that tourists, domestic or foreign, won't want to miss: the opportunity randomly to be swept up in a literal net and thus hauled off to a detention center like fresh fish.

It's like something out of the movie "Brazil," or "Soylent Green."

From the New York Daily News:

"In their zeal to keep protesters in line, the NYPD hs added some unlikely weapons to its arsenal: plastic netting and scores of undercover cops on scooters.

"The nets have been used to trap numerous people at demonstrations, including tourists, journalists and legal observers....

"The nets were first seen on Sunday, during the massive anti-war march, and again yesterday in lower Manhattan.

"Rosaleen Johnson, 64, from Massachusetts got netted with her son, Robert, 29, and his friends while standing in Times Square Sunday.

"'They were charged with disorderly conduct...We were just standing there doing nothing.' She was released but Robert spent 36 hurs in custody before being released.

"Dan, 22, got caught coming out of the subway: 'I'm just a tourist. I have no idea what's going on. I have tickets to 'The Producers' tonight.'

"Mayor [Michael] Bloomberg defended the aggressive tactics yesterday.

"'This isn't something like it's supposed to be a fair fight. We have laws,' he fumed. 'You break the law [and] you're going to find yourself arrested. Period. End of story.'"

"Cops Weave Webs With Nets: Tougher Tactics Baffle City Rights Group," by Barbara Ross and Greg B. Smith.

You tell 'em, Mike. Impudent rabble may get arrested for aggravated breathing or first degree taking up space.

If they don't like it, let them become billionaire investment bankers and holders of high political office and thus attain immunity from such inconvenience. Lesser mortals are expendable.
  2. Oh thats right I'd forgotten, - land of the free, home of the brave, defender of free speech - but only if we agree.

Hypocracy at its best :twisted: but then it wouldn't be America otherwise would it?
  3. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Is this mil.com we're talking about ?

4. As usual, the Yanks are overreacting. Try getting through arrivals! I have heard all sorts of stuff about Brits, with Visa's etc, being interrogated by over zealous officials. Fortunately, I have no desire to visit the place, ever.

Keep it up!

If you really want to piss your Allies off then kill 'em by accidentally blowing them up on Ops cos thick Yank pilots/ soldiers/ gunners/ etc can't be arsed to properly ID Allied eqpt/ vehicles, so if it doesn't look like US kit, then blow it up just in case.

If you can't do that, then harass them when they visit your country. Plus there's always the option of killing them once they eventually clear customs.

Oh, and when US visitors are subject to security checks in our Airports then talk loudly about their Rights/ This Wouldn't Happen in The States/ I'm An American blah blah.

Land of the Free??????????? Land of the Frightened/ Stupid/ Overreacting more like.
  5. For those who do travel to the States alot. It's alot easier with an INS Pass.
    Uses ratios of finger lengths to match your card details. Gets you through immigration in about 30 seconds. It's only at the main airports though (JFK, Newark, LAX, Orlando, etc). Just fill in the paperwork once (pretty much the same as the Visa Waiver form, such as, have you ever been a terrorist or Nazi - Doh!?).
  6. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

It's the way Bush is going to try and get re-elected: talk up the threat of terrorism to scare the middle classes back into their gas-guzzling SUV's (it's every American's God-given right to drive a huge SUV with cheap petrol Goddammit!), promise to go "kick a-rhab ass" in the name of Jeeeeeeezus to appeal to the neo-cons and red-necks, and pretend the world's a more dangerous place to justify it all (well it is a more dangerous place, but not for the reasons Shrub tells us it is).

Meanwhile Tony BLiar will be sniffing Shrub's arrse to be at the great ass-whooping banquet when he turns right and invades Iran for the hell of it (for the Halliburton of it anyone?)

4 more years? Please let it just be 2 more months!
  7. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Everyone should buy a copy of The Independent today. It has some fabulous facts and figures about Dubya and the current regime.
  8. I was saddened to watch a very obviously pussy-whipped (Rove-whipped?) John McCain eulogising Bush. John, you hate the bloke you know you do 8O

As for Tommy Franks, how the hell could he stand there and spout some of the stuff he came out with? Remember when you said you didn't have enough troops, etc etc Tom?

Been promised Colin Powells job in the next term have you?

Obviously,you got over the sordid attempts at smearing your good self, in times past . Wonder if you're writing with your left hand now 8O

Sad sad day, and the rhetoric was astonishing. Stayed up to watch Bush's speech at 3am , what did he actually say?

April the 13th - We will win T.W.A.T

Last week - I don't think we can..

Last night - Like generations before us, we have a calling from beyond the stars to stand for freedom. Oh FFS :roll:

"..and will continue to try linking Iraq to 9/11 in the mind of the American voter." :roll:

Face it Bluppet, the Lurve has gone. Being mentioned after the Oz PM,the Poles and the Italians? Not even a special mention of the special relationship? Oh dear :D

Not looked at Mil.com yet, as I've no doubt they will be delighted.

Oh well,we're doomed :D
  9. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Bush mentioned something about T.W.A.T. being a mission 'from beyond the stars' - hopefully the aliens will come for him very soon...
  10. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

FFS who wrote that lame line? Sack the speechwriter, a 12 year old or Sun copywriter could have done better )latter definately true with headlines like "Portugeezer" :lol: )
  11. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

What's happened to mil.chod? I tried www.mil.com and got a site with a big leaf on it and a banner for Micrologic :?:
  12. and the saddest thing is, the john kerry good man, good service record generally not as awful as bush is being slated by the rich republican media machine, veterans for truth, i mean really!!!

Americans wont believe in him no because he cant do rigth for doing wrong or so it seems.

GROW BALLS YOU DEMOCRATS, the world needs to get rid of this madman!!

Interesting point, when arnold schwartzenegger said "america is back" well with GWB as the incumbent, where has it been for the last 4 yrs?
  13. http://www.swiftvets.com/index.html

Still not been outrightly condemned , in spite of the fact they've been exposed.

That's the problem, lies stick.

Isn't there some sort of link between this crowd, and the smear campaign against John McCain last time out, where McCain actually confronted Bush on a chat show, and read him the riot act?
  14. yes, bush's lawyer and his campaign manager are both involded withthe swift vets

*sounds like a new bbc pet series doesnt it?*