Welbexian Officers

They didn't. I hated the place but don't recognise "the Brand" you describe. Personally I hated the place but got commissioned with some good and some bad. From all parts of the recruiting spectrum. I got commissioned in 1973.

I then went on to meet some excellent SNCO/WO and LE. And some useless and sometimes toxic ones. Who came from all parts of the recruiting spectrum.
Welbeck, commissioned 73 - last of the 2 year intakes or SMC 1?
If the former CC, exactly the same as an old friend from our Brat days in FB.

Tuffty

War Hero
Sorry i am a little confused i thought that "Macchiavellian, backstabbing empire builder" was the Job Spec for a Royal Signals Officer. Ask not what you can do for your men but what your men can do for your Career. Its Friday afternoon Sgt Major, area cleaning and then sweep the tank park (but only if the CO is watching)

Diogenes' limp

Old-Salt
If there is any truth in the distribution of dicks posited, is it possibly because officers in technical arms were, in the 50s/60s, less likely to come from boarding school backgrounds than cavalry/infantry types amongst whom elitism was expected and the norm. Bred to and trained in from birth as it were.

Take a grammar school type (or tyke?) at 16 and feed them into a social climbing system that majors on 'you are now special and will shortly be joining the elite 'officer corps' so you need to behave like it to gain acceptance' and you have the classic recipe for non so fanatical as the recently converted. Much of it built on deep insecurities.

A Grammar School oik commissioned into REME on his own merits and subsisting only on his pocket, posted to a Cavalry Regiment LAD in the 60/70s may require a remarkable strength of character.

With all (sincere) respect to the OP, who must, by the history given, be in senior years, I suggest deep seated cultural effects through a period of social change, such as these proposed, take a long time to die away.

Sorry i am a little confused i thought that "Macchiavellian, backstabbing empire builder" was the Job Spec for a Royal Signals Officer. Ask not what you can do for your men but what your men can do for your Career. Its Friday afternoon Sgt Major, area cleaning and then sweep the tank park (but only if the CO is watching)
Sounds very greenjackety also.
Artillery are just empire builders with out the subtlety or betrayal, just the commonality of the Brotherhood of the broken eardrum

Looking for a bite?

Euclid

War Hero
Woah - multi-quotes!

This the OF4 upskirter in a comd position at the time?
Welbeck Yes, RowCo No.

Several years back, very sadly one of the really good ones of the upskirter's vintage thought he could dive from a bridge and swim in the Thames.
I was referring to the one who was a CO - but clearly there are more if I’ve needed to clarify which one?

What about the Shrivenham Sauna Sex Scandal crew? The odds are that at least one was a Welbexian.

There were far more sex scandals though involving minor public school chaps though.

Euclid

War Hero
Can I just add Ty Urch is a Welbexian, he’s a good guy.
(He’s a mate, so I may be biased).
OOoooo - controversial!

Nice bit of virtue signalling from him in the papers today - ‘The senior ranks of the army are filled with middle aged white men’
No doubt followed by some guff that the makeup of the army needs to reflect society.

We were subbies together. He went some way further than I did :)
He visited the Battery when I was between my Phase 1 alpha and bravo. It was the first time we’d met since we left school in 1983. On the subject of him going further, while chatting I said....
“Here we are, you’re a two star general (it was thee years ago) and GOC FTC, and I’m a Gunner in the Army Reserve.... how did you get it so wrong?”

The look on the faces of the CO, the BC, the Adj, the RA Sgt Maj, the RSM, the BSM and various other hangers on, was a joy to behold.

OOoooo - controversial!

Nice bit of virtue signalling from him in the papers today - ‘The senior ranks of the army are filled with middle aged white men’
No doubt followed by some guff that the makeup of the army needs to reflect society.
I rather liked it some time ago when he engaged with Fill Your Boots and basically said, “okay, you tell me how we can make things better..”. All they seemed to come up with was ‘we want beards’.

I was referring to the one who was a CO - but clearly there are more if I’ve needed to clarify which one?

What about the Shrivenham Sauna Sex Scandal crew? The odds are that at least one was a Welbexian.

There were far more sex scandals though involving minor public school chaps though.
6 with an y not I? That one?

Bodenplatte

Old-Salt
Tell me what CROW means , then you can have your tea and a biscuit.
It originally meant a recruit.
You'll see the obvious verbal contraction from "recruit" to "rookie" ? Keeping the corvid connection it's only a step from "rookie" to "crow."

It was Guards slang for a long time, particularly Depot, Caterham and Pirbright, but seems to have spread, possibly due to Guards now being trained at the same establishments as other regiments.

It originally meant a recruit.
You'll see the obvious verbal contraction from "recruit" to "rookie" ? Keeping the corvid connection it's only a step from "rookie" to "crow."

It was Guards slang for a long time, particularly Depot, Caterham and Pirbright, but seems to have spread, possibly due to Guards now being trained at the same establishments as other regiments.
Thank you. I had guessed that the OW was Old Welbexian. I had not worked out the CR. Complete Rubbish? Can'tRead? Can't Remember?

Latest Threads