• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

weird 5.56mm round

#1
hi, found this 5.56mm round in swynnerton training grounds and was wondering if any1 knows what the hell sort of round it is.

it strange to me as the whole this is one piece apart from the part at the rear which slides down. the percussion cap seems to resemble that of a .22LR round and there is a slot where the actual bullet would be.




so, anyone that could tell me what it is i would be most thankful.



(PS this is not a wah!)
(PPS please dont give me any stick, just curious)
 
#3
Lance_Bombardier said:
hi, found this 5.56mm round in swynnerton training grounds and was wondering if any1 knows what the hell sort of round it is.

it strange to me as the whole this is one piece apart from the part at the rear which slides down. the percussion cap seems to resemble that of a .22LR round and there is a slot where the actual bullet would be.




so, anyone that could tell me what it is i would be most thankful.



(PS this is not a wah!)
(PPS please dont give me any stick, just curious)
bi curious?
 
#5
Cadets picking up things and then lying on their declarations.....
 
#6
Seen those as well and was puzzled.

In the end we thought they weren't rounds at all but some sort of a nail-gun stud or fastening device perhaps used by builders???
 
#7
Praetorian said:
Cadets picking up things and then lying on their declarations.....
might have...all the adults know that most cadets are lying through thier teeth anyway. would tell of 1 incident but thats not for here. :wink:
 
#8
RedRabbit said:
Seen those as well and was puzzled.

In the end we thought they weren't rounds at all but some sort of a nail-gun stud or fastening device perhaps used by builders???
interesting but if that was the case they wouldnt fit perfectly into a mag
 

Attachments

#10
Praetorian said:
Cadets picking up things and then lying on their declarations.....
"I have no live rounds or empty cases in my possession."

It doesn't appear to be either! :D

A very odd thing. I've never seen anything like it. At first I thought it was a separated case extractor in an empty case but then I saw the "bullet" and slot. Very odd.

Larger, better quality photos might help.
 
#12
is it not a tool removeing ruptured catridge,,,
you put it in to remove a brass case thats jammed.


or my next guess ..its a locally produced drill round made by somebody .
 
#14
Maybe a gauge for head space?
 
#15
I think it's a drill round. I doubt it's home made either. It's got the "bullet" drawn out of the same brass as the case so that it doesn't get pushed into the case upon chambering. This method of production necessitates a separate base and rim. It's not supposed to come apart but in this case has done. The impressions where the brass portion has been crimped on to the base can be seen. The hole through the bullet is to make it visually identifiable.

I haven't any evidence for this but I'll stick my neck out and say that's what it is. Almost certainly foreign.

Doesn't quite explain a "percussion cap" though - perhaps that's just a device to cushion the firing pin.
 
#16
On a happier not, L_B, please get those wrist cutting cunts out of your avatar block, they make my blood boil!
 
#17
A round for practice drills? That telescoping case would make it a pain to extract using the rifle's mechanics...

Ah... I see your point Ex-Stab...
 
#18
Its an inspection round.
 
#19
Lighter maybe?
The bottom bit pulls out? Contains cotton wool type stuff that smells of petrol? Is there a hole for a pin through the slot, where a wheel igniter thing should be?

If not, it ain't that.
 
#20
Having seen these at Swynnerton myself, I can say that there we quite a few scattered around, so they're not going to be a one-off like a lighter.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top