weird 5.56mm round

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Lance_Bombardier, Jul 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi, found this 5.56mm round in swynnerton training grounds and was wondering if any1 knows what the hell sort of round it is.

it strange to me as the whole this is one piece apart from the part at the rear which slides down. the percussion cap seems to resemble that of a .22LR round and there is a slot where the actual bullet would be.

so, anyone that could tell me what it is i would be most thankful.

(PS this is not a wah!)
    (PPS please dont give me any stick, just curious)
  2. A picture would be useful
  3. bi curious?
  4. the round

Attached Files:

5. Cadets picking up things and then lying on their declarations.....
  6. Seen those as well and was puzzled.

In the end we thought they weren't rounds at all but some sort of a nail-gun stud or fastening device perhaps used by builders???
  7. might have...all the adults know that most cadets are lying through thier teeth anyway. would tell of 1 incident but thats not for here. :wink:
  8. interesting but if that was the case they wouldnt fit perfectly into a mag

Attached Files:

9. Rivet gun.
  10. "I have no live rounds or empty cases in my possession."

It doesn't appear to be either! :D

A very odd thing. I've never seen anything like it. At first I thought it was a separated case extractor in an empty case but then I saw the "bullet" and slot. Very odd.

Larger, better quality photos might help.
  11. Key Ring?
  12. is it not a tool removeing ruptured catridge,,,
    you put it in to remove a brass case thats jammed.

or my next guess ..its a locally produced drill round made by somebody .
  13. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Concur with your ID ... I have/had one in 7.62.
  14. Maybe a gauge for head space?
  15. I think it's a drill round. I doubt it's home made either. It's got the "bullet" drawn out of the same brass as the case so that it doesn't get pushed into the case upon chambering. This method of production necessitates a separate base and rim. It's not supposed to come apart but in this case has done. The impressions where the brass portion has been crimped on to the base can be seen. The hole through the bullet is to make it visually identifiable.

I haven't any evidence for this but I'll stick my neck out and say that's what it is. Almost certainly foreign.

Doesn't quite explain a "percussion cap" though - perhaps that's just a device to cushion the firing pin.