Weights vs Cardio

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Green_Machine, Feb 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. (Also posted in The Trg Wing)
    One for all you PTI/ phys experts..

Am curious to know what the general opinion is about weight gain through the use of a structured training programme vs loss in cardio & endurance fitness.

I am quite fit - push out a reasonable PFT in 9:20 and can tab till the cows come home. I am off on tour later in the year and intend to get stuck into the weights. However i don’t want to loose my current level of fitness. I realise there will be a trade off between gains in muscle mass and loss in fitness?

Is it worth knocking back copious quantities of Creatine, Protein and Glutamine etc to bulk up, or will the potential gains be nullified by regular decent cardio and endurance sessions in the gym?.

Any thoughts?
  2. I was under the impression you could maintain a good level of CV while improving your size. All about intensity of your runs/CV workouts. I've seen some real big blokes running in at around the 9 min mark.
  3. Fair one.

Ive got no intention of giving up the CV, but at the same time intend to try and maximise the benefits of working out with weights. Just want to know whether all the supplements etc will be pointless if i continue to push out decent cardio/ endurance sessions in the gym.

I am not a 12st racing snake, not a 16st lardy arrse and consider myself in good shape but want to make the most of what is available on a 6 months tour, ie weights and cardio kit.
  4. It's the same deal with me mate, except I'm still trying to nail the running bit in the PFT. Read some decent literature of which I'm picking bits and pieces out of. As far as I can reckon you can increase your size nicely with super sets on odd days and do the very intense CV work on the even days with one rest day a week. Also eat six smaller meals a day and fat (if any) should fall off you revealing a big body underneath anyway!

Now for the beer belly... :shakefist:
  5. Stay off the powders...eat more chicken and meat as well as pasta. Tuna is also good. Get bigger powders can be expensive for what it provides...stick to 'natural' proteins.
  6. Whey protein is ideal immediately post workout. You can pick up 5kg bags of whey dirt cheap from 'whey consortium'.
  7. Just work hard at a mix of Cardio and weights and eat a lot! Avoid fatty foods. Ignore the expensive supplements except maybe multivits and minerals in case your diet is deficient something.

If you do decide to mix cardio and weights on the same day, always do weights first. You wont loose cardio benefits but you will maximise strength gains and muscle growth.
    Alternate days is probably optimal because you should not then have to take any rest day but can train every day!
  8. Green_Machine,I use kettlebells a lot and they have made a lot of difference to me,after years of doing normal weights I have had a lot more results by using these they tend to exercise your core a lot and are also very good for the cardio,have a look on this site and read about Rob Beauchamp & Stan Pike http://www.intensefitness.co.uk only draw back is the kettlebells are expensive but if you can sweet talk your PTI's you won't regret it,
  9. first thing is you need to decide what you want realistically. (do you want to get 'bigger' or not'?)

In order to increase your size you need to consume more quality calories than you use every day.
    With a high CV output this becomes tricky as you will have to tweak your diet around your CV training in order to maintain muscle mass.

As a general statement you will have to tweak your diet to accomodate the cardio alongside the muscle building training (weights).

Creatine is not needed in my opinion if you have a decent diet, having said that if you want to use it, why not. glutamine? not needed but again if you want to why not.

Whey protein has its place in a 'bodybuilding' diet but as already mentioned chicken, tuna, beef, steak are far better protein sources.
    Having said that whey is digested by the body very quickly and is best consumed immediatly after lifting weights.

endurance sessions are not the best thing to be doing if your trying to increase muscle mass.

hope that helps
  10. Whey is a milk based protein and is commonly regarded as one of the most effective protein sources to consume after training