Weight training

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by jabcrosshook, Jun 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok I'm hoping to start the process for going to the Paras after my 18 birthday in 4 months and I was wondering if it would be be a good idea to add some weight training to my training programme.
    Now when i say weights I don't mean bulking up but just to focus on seperate muscle groups on the various days of the week, would it advisable or not?

2. Go for it. Crosstraining - a combination of running, weights, swimming etc -
    will help you develop optimal fitness.

Since you are trying for the Paras, you should focus on cardiovascular stamina/endurance. But a good strength training programme will also help.

Best of luck.

3. I would most certainly advice it. Iv got a few friends in the paras and sometimes do weights with them. I think its important to do weights for endurance ie going more than 12 reps. If you do less than 8 reps with a heavier weight ur looking at gaining more size and bigger strength gains. Id say that endurance is the most important thing though. Lots of running, pressups, situps, pullups and stuff.

4. I train weights and it is advisable - hit big muscle groups dont do bicep curls or silly things like that, Alternate a "front" and "back" exercise and keep going for an hour, an example could be:

Pushups 10-1 countdown (10 seconds rest)
    Wide grip Pull Ups 3x3
    Chest Press 4x12
    Lat Pulldown 4x12
    Unstable Pushups (use a ball or Bosu) 4x10
    Bent-Over Row / Seated Row 4x12
    Incline Chest Press
    Assisted Pull Ups (use a lower bar, keep heels on the floor - crack on) 1 minute x 3

Then kill abs afterwards with normal stuff.

This would give you strength gains, increase your ability to do Pushups and Pullups/ other exercises you'll be expected to do over and over and over again, and the repeated bashing of the muscles will give endurance.

Make sure you have atleast 1 if not more rest days between weights sessions! (Although if you intend to do weights on your legs then you can do these the day before/after doing weights on upper body... different muscles)

5. Your muscles are made up of two types of fibre - Fast Twitch and Slow Twitch.

Fast Twitch gives you strength and power, but tire quickly. Slow Twitch are not as strong, but give you muscular endurance.

The most efficient way to train weights is to use the FT first, before they have a chance to tire; warm up, then choose a weight you can lift for 3 Reps. After this, reduce the weight and do 6 Reps. Then 9 and finally 12 Reps, reducing the weight each time.

This is called a Reverse Pryamid; the heaviest weights are being lifted first, so the muscle fibres are being worked in the correct order. This will give you a combination of brute strength and muscular endurance.

I first read of this method in an article by an American strength and conditioning coach who works with, among others, US Special Operations Units.

I hope this was of some use to you. If I can answer any other questions about weights, PM me.

6. GCSE PE is all flooding back! ... I wish! This is a useful tip, thanks mate.

7. No worries, mate. Good luck. :thumright:

8. I do weight training, but not with serious weights, im not old enough for a gym so do 80-100 pressups a day, (sometimes do 5kg weighted situps)100+situps a day and 10+chinups a day. I also do 80x5kg curls, 30x5kg chest press, 40x5kg shoulder thingy,40 x 5kg back thingy and 50+ squats a day. Looking to invest in heavier weights.

am i doing to much?

9. I do loads of weight training, but to be honest mate it's best to take advice off a Para or Para who's just recently joined to give you up to date info on the best muscle groups to work on. I'm sure there's a few on here who'll be willing to help.

Good luck.

BT.

10. Lifting very heavy weights for very low reps increases the risks of a variety of injuries. Do make sure you warm up (as FC advised) if you follow this routine.

11. Frank's routine is good, but warm up's are necessary no matter WHAT training you're doing.

For some exercises, it is also essential to have a Spotter - someone who can assist you if you fail during an exercise.

12. Your right about warm-ups, I found 5 mins on the rowing machine a good warm-up exercise. Also 2.5 Kg weight's with arms outstretched going in circular motions forward and backwards, eventually using all the shoulders.

BT.

13. Apart from warming up, it's also important to remember that muscles grow through hypertrophy; you tear the muscle-fibres down by pumping iron. Then they grow back stronger.

What this means is: muscles grow while you REST, not while you train. So you have to make sure they get enough. Don't train weights on consecutive days; make sure you have at least one day between sessions.

On the days you don't train with weights, you can still run, swim etc. You can even combine them; I often run to the gym/pool.

The most important thing to remember is that you want to be a Para - you're not a bobybuilder, powerlifter or Olympic weightlifter, so don't try to train like one.

Good luck.

14. you need to chill on the sit ups! they can cause curvature of the spine! you can get the same burn by doing 20 sit ups done corectly and slowly.

make sure you contract your muscles while you do the exercise(what ever you may be doing) it will give you bigger gains.

Tape x

15. I'm starting para training in August and I'm not going near heavy weights. Just run run and run some more and do your fair share of sit ups and pushups