Weight Training Programme

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Duty_Fed, Jul 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm after a good Weight programme, I don't want to bulk (trying to lose weight) but do want to get a lot stronger, particularly arms. Should I do a complete body work out everyday or do some body parts on certain days with a rest in between? How many reps should I do? I run everyday (+5 miles) which should take care of my legs & CV.

Afterthought: if I should do seperate parts are there any rules such as not working abs with back? Biceps & Triceps etc?
  2. Have a look at kettlebells.
  3. Thanx for the response but I need to know about an actual programme, not what type of weights to use. Can't afford to buy them anyway so will be using my local gym.
  4. I would suggest 3 days a week with a rest day between or 4/6 days a week with different body parts on different days. Probably start with the first and build up to the second. For the number of Reps less than 10 per set is going to build bulk. I usually do 10 per set but max on the last set and up the wieght slightly once I am doing more than about 12 on the last set. For stomach I do higher reps (25-30). I For strength and muscular endurance without bulk I like a Superset routine. This can be difficult if the gym is very busy and you need to queue for equipment, it is also a grueling

The idea is to pair exercises so that you do a set of one exercise than with no rest a set of an exercise for the opposing muscle group, then straight back into a set of the first exercise (the set of the second exercise being your "rest"). 3 or 4 sets of the double exercise superset and you can rest for a minute or so before the next superset. This is a very fast routine which I find I can do easily in a lunchtime.

This is a posisble whole body routine

Bench Press
    Lateral Pulldowns or Chins

Barbell Curl
    Triceps Press

Leg Extensions
    Leg Curls

Incline sit ups (gradually increase the incline or hold a bigger weight disks behind your head)
    Good Mornings or Back Hyperextensions

For altarnate days of different body parts I like a heavy day for big muscle groups (back, chest and legs) then a light day for smaller muscle groups (biceps, triceps, shoulders, calves). Stomach needs doing both days (the penalty we pay for the beer).
  5. Oh, well done indeed, Futs! That really is a tremendous help to somebody who has very little idea of what does what! Either you post genuinely helpful hints, or you .......

Duty_Fed, if you're really interested in a proper programme, PM me and I'll send you one!

6. Dear Duty_Fed,

Go down the bookshop and get a copy of Body for Life by Bill Phillips. It will tell you everything you need to know and has excellent illustrations of all the different weight training exercises.