Weight training for speed

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by BIGBIRD101, Jul 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm sure that there has been a thread on this already, but after a bit of a search I didn't find one.

It happens to us all, you're at a training session for the sport of your choice when some young whipper snapper passes you like a Porsche in the outside lane of the M1.

Now I already do plyometrics but I'm just wondering, what sort of weight training should I be doing to put this little snot bag back in his place.

I'm too young to play veterens rugby just yet.
  2. You'll want to work on building your type II fast twitch fibres. The best way to do this is with short duration, but high intensity training. Not necessarily on weights! If there's a leg press at your gym, try and bang out 3 sets of 6 reps of a weight that challenges you. Do them at a decent speed but not so fast that you're being a cock and going to injure/crush yourself. Hamstring curls and quad extensions are good too, again, less reps, more power!

The problem with weight training is that it is likely to make you gain weight, which will wreck acceleration.
    Another thing you don't want to do is concentrate just on fast twitch, because then you'll be able to take over this Usain Bolt wannabe and then you'll just be shit for the next 10 minutes.

One of the best ways to improve your sprint, is to sprint, though. Try doing some sort of fartlek training on a track maybe? Jog 100, sprint 50, jog 50, sprint 50.
    Resistance training is always good too. Try chucking yourself up some hills as fast as you can!

Hope this helps!
  3. Cheers for that,
    how often and how long shoul i be doing these for?
  4. I presume you mean the Fartlek? It depends what standard you're already at, but ideally you want to be working at such a level that you're JUST hitting the cardio... So you don't want to be completely out of breath.
    If you have access to a running track, try doing a lap of sprint/runs, then a 3 - 5 minute break, then doing it again. Do that maybe 3 times.
    Unfortunately it does depends on the person! Just judge it by how you feel. Remember you shouldn't be getting too deep into the cardio, so you want to keep your heart rate at a reasonable level. If you're getting too knackered to sprint the fast legs of the fartlek, try jogging the slow bit a little bit slower. The key is to keep moving, though.
  5. My bold - Which would be what specifically please? Are we 'team sports?' a runner / cyclist / rower / canoeist? Any weight training advice would be specific to the sport.
  6. That'd be team sports, rugby to be precise
  7. Depending on your level and the position you play the training you require will differ but you'll need a mixture of activities that will also vary depending on the time of year/season. There are some excellent books available through the RFU website that aren't too expensive and should allow you to develop your own programme based on realistic goals - it may even be worth paying for some sessions with a PT buster or use a good Corps man and/or the trainer at your club. You'll get lots of good ideas on here as most seem to make sensible suggestions but to maximise your potential you need a bespoke plan imo.
  8. I've got a cracking book on conditioning for RFU - let us know what position you play and I'll see if I can dig out some "generic" training advice......
  9. that'd be great. I usually play fly half, but i'm increasingly finding myself at full back
  10. And you started off so well too.

I will post more tomorrow as I'm on my phone at the mo. Just going to state calories in<calories out you will lose weight no matter the exercise involved (therefore if calories in = calories out with weight training, body composition will change, but weight will remain the same).
  11. Right

Can you elaborate why you have suggested exercises that have isolated muscle groups.
    As the body doesn't work in bands, training explosively in isolation makes no sense.
    A better suggestion would be for the original poster (OP) to train using dynamic lifting patterns (DE) using whole body movements, or olympic lifts (OL).
    A simple procedure would be (assuming the OP knows how to squat, being the easiest form wise) for him to do high sets of 2-3 reps with 50-60% of his 1 rep max and have 3-4 minutes per set (aiming for 5-6 sets). The idea is to accelerate the weight as fast as possibe and engrain that speed without fatiquing the muscle, thereby training the central nervous system (CNS) to fire fast.
    Another method would be to increase his 1 rep max, as that generally increases CNS firing (assuming his doesn't up his calories and thereby put on weight).
    OL can be incorporated, such and the clean and jerk and snatch, however you really need to know what you're doing for these as otherwise you are asking for a injury. Over short distances (50-100 meters, pure strength and grunt distances) OL outsprint sprinters.

Again, weight training, like any tool, if applied correctly, will increase the qualities you are looking for. A good lifting programme will help with acceleration and speed, the issue only comes in when you start to be lax with what you eat and don't recover enough. Since he needs to be able to keep going (ala aerobic capacity as well as anaerobic, lactic and alactic), he needs to keep his cv and skill work up, which is where scheduling the weight training has to be accounted for.

I agree with the hill work, but also important is downhill speed work. Not fartlek (as that is for cv work, which should be attacked seperately from speed work and resistance work if time allows for maximum improvement).
    Getting the legs used to turning over at a greater speed goes a long way to increasing running speed. But again like the DE methods mentioned above, you need to be rested between each set to ingrain the new CNS firing pattern.
  12. When you say cardio, I'm assuming you're talking about the lactate threshold (ie the point when aerobic as sustainable, goes to anaerobic and non sustainable).
    I would agree. When doing fartleks, you want to be just around the LT, maybe just over it for the sprints and then dip back down below it for the recovery sections.
  13. Quick question- can you maintain the pace you're going at, or do you fatique at the end (just getting an idea if you're fatiquing or just lacking in the power aspect).

I'm not a rugby player or indeed accredited by anyone for sports qualifications.
    I'm just someone who's done a fair bit of sport and likes to read around subjects.