Weight Routine Advice!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by hellmett, Jun 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Greetings,

Can any of you that are into "weight lifting" or "body building" etc. suggest a good/effective workout for a novice?

I done a bit of weight traing a few years back so I know about reps and sets etc.

Have noticed the ol' tits looking a bit like the wife's and I want to tone up, put on a bit of muscle and generally strengthen my muscles.

When running (alternate days - 4/5 milers) the old legs get sore and fatigued easy and I thought some weight training might help but I may as well do the whole body when down the gym.

I intend to train with weights in between runs, ie. alternate days.

2. Depends on your goal; if you want to put on muscle, a split routine with medium weights and reps between 8 - 12 will cause hypertrophy and bulk you up. A few months of hard training combined with good protein( for example Whey Isolate)and you'll be wearing a white wife-beater and sneering: "Around my beautiful body, 10 laps - go!" :twisted:

If you want strength/power more than a gym-queen's look, try Westside For Skinny B@stards or Madcow's 5X5 Routine(just Google them).

In your own time... :)
  3. Cheers!

I don't want to pack on muscle just tone up, strengthen and lose some body lard.

The main reason, I suppose, is to increase my strength, endurance and to reduce injury risk and reduce fatigue.

What do you reckon?
  4. Difficult to increase strength AND endurance with the same routine, as the rep-ranges are at the opposite ends of the scale; 3 -6 for strength/power and over 12 reps for endurance.

Of course, if you're running regularly, I would'nt worry to much about endurance, unless you're training specifically for something that requires MUSCULAR, as opposed to cardiovascular, endurance.

Again, I'd strongly consider Westside For Skinny B@stards; it was developed with novices in mind(not that intermediate and advanced weight trainers can't use it as well). It also mixes up the reps, with some exercises done heavy, with a last set of 3 reps and others with lighter weights and much higher repetitions.

WFSB is used by competitive athletes in MMA, American Football etc, so I'd guess it does help prevent injury! :D

The other main option is 5X5 by Starting Strength or Madcow. Very basic, with only a few compound lifts. Start light but increase the weight by small increments every session. :)
  5. I'll check it out!

Cheers Werewolf!
  6. No worries, mate. I'd also recommend you talk to an instructor at your local gym; he/she can design a program specifically for you, and take you through it.

Good luck.