Weight loss vs loss in performance

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by HH_2, Mar 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Edited due to no longer being an issue.
  2. It might be problematic since with rowing a good deal of total body muscle mass is vital for performance.

Its slightly over a stone you're looking to lose as well, which in the short time frame is 'unlikely'

How much do you have spare as it were?
    When's the weigh in?
  3. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

A stone in two weeks? I suppose it's possible if you literally starve yourself and spend the next fortnight tabbing 24 hours a day, but it would a) be very bad for you and b) destroy your performance. With that training schedule I'm assuming you have next to no body fat, so you would be losing either a stone of muscle or require a lobotomy. It is rowing, so the latter probably wouldn't hurt much :wink:

Not recommended. If you are 80kilos and 72.5kilos is a lightweight rower, then unfortunately you are simply not a lightweight rower at the moment.
  4. Yes it is probably possible to lose that weight in that time frame but it will be water and glycogen, and doing so would be pointless as your performance will suffer massively, and down-right risky at worst.

If you're already training hard and regularily as you imply, and 80kg is your "normal" weight as a result of this routine, then lightweight rowing is not your game!

I'd turn it down.

5. Just to play devils advocate this is why I was asking about the weigh in time.

If its the day before, although not much fun and shouldn't really be done unless you've done it before, he could strip about 6-7 lbs, weigh in and then rebound for the next day.

But I reckon its like a hour before so would agree with everyone else and say it can't be done without drastically limiting your performance.
  6. Simple answer is no, it is not realistic.
  7. Speaking as a lightweight rower...

HH - much as you would like it to, its never going to happen. 7.5 kg is way too much weight to lose by the Henley Boat Races.... Much as you may want to row for Oxbridge.

Even if you managed, the effects on your performance (from dehydation etc) would be huge - i'm surprised your coach even asked.

Yes, its possible to do it for 1 or 2 kgs on race day... but other than that... no!

OULRC seem to think that 80kg should be where you'd be in September...

Best idea would be to support the crew from the banks.. with a pitcher of pimms and a look forward to Henley proper.
  8. Ok, thanks for the advice guys, it's no longer an issue due to various developments so I don't need to worry about starving myself to death :D