Weight Loss Idea, [Confirmation?]

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Desborough, Dec 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Areet Lads,

Right, i've decided on top of my 3-4 mile fat burning jog that i'm going to fill a Bag (Standard military burgen) With sand blocks or bricks and of about 20kilo, and do a 8.6 mile walk along a coastal path, (4.3 There, 4.3 Back)

Advice on whether this is a good idea or a waste of time?

I need to burn another stone n a half and they'll give me my medical.

Still doing my sit ups and press ups (pyramid method) and healthy diet etc
    Smoking almost comletly cut! :D go me haha ;)
    Podgy Fat Boy N-E-A haha :p
  2. What is your level of fitness at the moment? I would suggest that if you are not fit, going on a tab with 20kgs will not be a good idea.

Think about your knees, your lower back and the potentail risk you may put them in.

Also what footwear are you using?

What was your 1.5 mile run time at selection?

With all tabbing it is very important to build up to weight slowly and having that weigh evenly distrabuted is also very important.

I suggest you seek your recruiter out and discuss in length about weight loss and what you can do.
  3. This doesn't sound like a winning idea to me. Load-carrying needs to start small and build up, so the muscles have a chance to develop, otherwise you'll injure yourself.

If the weight isn't dropping off fast enough for you, first ask yourself whether your expectation was realistic, and if it was see either a doctor or head to the local gym and see a personal trainer for advice as to improving.
  4. Do no use crap like sand or bricks for your weight it will knacker you,
    As for weight loss dont eat exercise more.
  5. Leave the begen work alone as it seriously fcuks your back knees & ankles, If i was you I would start some gym work and increase your distance to get more stamina.

start building up your legs by doing squatts.

When you start your training the team will build your base fitness up to carry a bergen.

Good luck
  6. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Start slow - reduce the weights they suggest and cut down on reps, build up over time. It works. In two months you will be amazed at the difference it makes.

I am forty. I was always fit enough to pass PFT/CFT etc and reasonably fit but had to work at it and if I did not train I put weight on just looking at food.

Started CrossFit - in 2.5 months I have lost weight, gained muscle (Most important - I have abs starting to show through !), mile and a half down to sub-10mins (9.45) from 11.15, knocked 7 mins from 10km time, can now do chin ups and dips easily, pressups are a piece of pish as are sit ups. And I am eating a normal diet - no fads other than cutting out desserts (which I never really ate anyway), crisps and snacks, I eat more fruit and drink lots of water.

Stick with it and the running. Good luck.
  7. I hate to say this, but you seem to have built your hopes up , that you are going to pass basic, even if your are supper fit it does not mean that you will get through training. Unless things have changed, fittness was not the main reason for leaving, homesickness, fear, of heights,water, dark,ect. not being able to push oneself to the limit, were all reasons that recruits jacked. I worry about all you youngsters who seem to think that fittness is the beall and endall. There where recruits on my intake who where far fitter than I but just could hack it, there is a lot more to basic than that, best of luck as I think you will need it. taf
  8. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Fair point there troooper66, but being fit does make life a little easier in Basic ! The rest of it is down to character and 'having the right attitude.' But if you are not fit, I think it is harder to get through Basic than otherwise.
  9. I went the JLR RAC at 15, and my intake was 97 recruits, 2 years later there where 13 left, and a lot of those failed where far better, fitter and stronger than I, but the regiem at Bovington at that time was very brutal and retribution dished out by fellow recruits was the main reason for leaving. people who could not cut it at room,kit inspections,could not or would not work as part of the team, keep up themselves and their kit clean and up to scratch, where regulary given regimental baths and,or beastings by their peers. If you fit in and could take it,it was great,If not it was pure hell