Weight gain/bulking

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Red_Imp, Sep 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, Im at uni and want to pursue a career in the army when I graduate. I'm 5,11 and weigh just under 12 stones. I'm not underweight by any stretch of the imagination but I have quite a skinny frame and I want to bulk up a bit. I've my own set of weights which I've been using for about year and this has had the effect of making me look more ripped which is fair enough because at the time the aim wasn't to bulk up, that has changed though.

I've been doing my research and the two key points people seem to emphasise is diet and compound lifting.

On the diet side of things I've cut the crap out and I'm trying to add the extra calories required to gain weight and divide it up in to 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day. I'm eating lots of oats, wholegrain cereals/rice/pasta, lots of meat, tuna and whole milk. For extra protein I have a whey protein supplement. Being a student i realise it's going to eat the pennies so any tips for cheap ways of getting the calories in?

As for the weight training I've come up with this:
    Mon
    3x5 bench press
    3x5 dips
    3x5 military press

Wed
    3x5 bent over rows
    1x5 deadlift
    3x5 standing press

Fri
    3x5 squts
    3x5 lunges
    3x5 chin ups

Sat/Sun: cardio - light run for a couple of miles

Weight? I'm not sure what to start with. I understand you shouldn't change weight halfway through an exercise but I don't want too much weight and not being able to complete the sets.

Gym or not to gym?
    My uni has a well equipped gym but it's rather pricey. I have weights at home, not olympic though and I don't have a bench but i see you can get one on the net for about £60. Being a skinny git I also find the gym slightly intimidating with all those meatheads pumping iron and me there struggling to bench 30kg.

Over to you fellas.

2. Kebabs, chips and ale. It's for winners.

3. Fact of life- the meatheat gym queens are too busy looking at themselves to notice what you're up to.

4. I'm going to do the silly thing and ASSUME you are about 18.

Get Puberty out the way first. I never did got to Uni as I was too busy signing out my 28 inch waist DPM Trousers (80/80/92 or whatever they were in real sizes). However I imagine you will spend most of your time drinking and eating gash food. I hate to say it, but I agree with Biscuits.

Just go down to the gym and ask them instead as your work out plan looks like a GCSE P.E student came up with it and probably wouldn't phase Alastair Darling to try and stick to.

Or... Wait ten minutes. There are more 6ft 6 meat head cage fighters/Body builders/Charles Atlas look a likes on ARRSE than any other internet site in the world.

5. If you want to bulk up, try the 5X5 program. This involves doing fives sets of five reps with the same weight:

Monday: Squats 5X5
    Barbell Rows 5X5
    Bench Press 5X5
    Dips 3X8(start with bodyweight, add weights to a belt as you
    become stronger).
    Swiss Ball Crunches.

Wednesday: Squats 5X5
    Military Press 5X5
    Deadlift 1X5
    Pull-Ups 3X8
    Leg Raise.

Friday: Same workout as Monday. Increase the weight on the major lifts by 2.5 - 5 kilos every session until you hit the sticking point. By that time, you will probably be Squating with approx. one and a half times you're own bodyweight.

The key to this program is the Squats: doing 5X5 sets, three times per weeks works the whole body, not just the legs. It also increases the body's production of testosterone, which increases muscle strength and bulk. The 5X5 is used by a lot of competitive Power Lifters.

Make sure you get plenty of rest; never do two of these workouts on consecutive days. Always leave a day's "rest" inbetween(you can still run etc).

If you're serious about a career in the Army, you'll need to do a lot more running. A bare MINIMUM of three runs per week. Obviously, this will make it harder to bulk up, but if you balance the running and weight training you will get stronger and have more stamina. All round fitness is required. No good being able to Bench twice you're bodyweight if you can't complete a BFT. :wink:

Food: No need for anything fancy. Plenty of white meat, enough carbs like pasta or baked tatties for energy and fresh veg. and fruit.

Whey Isolate is particularly good. Take some after each workout.

You NEED to join a good gym. Don't worry about feeling puny compared to everyone else; we all feel like that the first time we walk into the gym. And the real gym monsters, the one's who are Benching 400lb etc, are doped up to the eyeballs anyway.

Make sure the gym you join has Benches and at least one Squat Cage. In order to increase strength and muscle bulk, you need free weights, NOT machines; they are for pencil-necks, like Biscuits_AB. :wink:

Alternatively, you can always get a job with the CPS; it worked for Biscuit's wife - she's so fat now he has to slap her thighs and surf the waves in! :twisted: :lol:

6. Thanks for the advise, Werewolf.

7. stronglifts is a gooden.

8. Eat meat and dont move, the only marathons you should be doing are to the fridge.

9. No worries, mate. Good luck. :)

10. Agree with all the sensible answers (both of them). Eat loads of chocolate, burgers, kebabs etc. Drink nothing but lager. Under no circumstances walk if you can drive.

You'll soon have that "mono-ab" the ladies all foam over.

11. If you're a student, you'll find this place pretty good - www.myprotein.co.uk. Its fantastic quality and the cheapest you will find, I assure you. Plenty of good things on there to help you bulk.

My code it MP73032 & if you use that you will receive a 5% discount on your first order.

12. This advice is mostly appalling. You should be advising him that 'bulking up' is the peverse lesbian sister of narcissism. It's all well and good giving 'yo biatches' a ticket or two to the gun show, but you'll have a hell of a time lugging your water retented pile through basic.

Focus on bodyweight exercises. Press ups, pull ups, sit ups and squats. Run as often as possible. 1.5milers, 3milers, Sprint training(fartlek), hill sprints. Ditch the weights. Being slim is an advantage, bulking up should be done (if the temptation to 'appear' intimidating is too much to resist) after basic and continuation are licked.

Otherwise, enjoy the first 13seconds of training whereby everyone stands in awe of your simpy terrific physique, then cry when you can't keep up with those skinny b*tches.

13. Hey, the kid asked for advice on bulking up - NOT specific training for the Army. :roll:

I did point out that he needed to be putting in a lot more miles if he was serious about a career in the Military.

14. Well, you should know better. But, I confess, I am suitably stumped by the loop-hole in your argument.

15. "Victory is mine!"
    - Stewie Griffen. :twisted:

On a more serious note, I can think of at least three Badged members of Them who could Bench up to 300lbs while serving. So high level cardiovascular fitness does not automatically rule out the development of great strength/power. It just makes it more difficult.

At the moment, I'm a Civvie. I devide my training between running, weight training and the Martial Arts. If I were to drop two of these activities and concentrate on one too the exculsion of everything else, I would make much faster progress. But I prefer to have a balanced training schedule. :)