Weight carrying for women

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by mwl946, Mar 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

First off, forgive my ignorance!!!

An ex cadet of mine, female, is currently seconded to an Infantry Battalion. She s just told me she has a "run" tomorrow (I dont understand all this CFT, PFT,BFT stuff) of a mile and a half to be completed in 15 min, carrying 55lb (made up of 35lb in bergen, rifle and webbing).

Is there no reduction in weight for a female?
  2. Wahhh!!!

You have it mixed up. They carry £5 in their purse and 50lbs in their arrse!
  3. mwl946

Haha very good, but im genuinely looking for a serious answer!
  4. In that case why should there be any difference. Do they do a different job than a bloke in the same position? Are there certain items of equipment only blokes need on ops?

She'll live!
  5. mwl946

Well yes actually, she does do a different job. Thanks anyway.
  6. I'll say again for those who struggle to read but are trusted with children.

Do they do a different job than a bloke in the SAME POSITION?

Assuming she is a medic, chef, Mechanic does she do a different job to male medics, chefs, mechanics???
  7. She should be carring the weight IAW her cap badge. No weight difference because of being female.
  8. mwl946

Your insult, Sir, was unnecessary.

I may be a civvy with limited knowledge military fitness, but I asked a genuine, polite question in a serious forum - not the NAAFI.

MOD perhaps you will delete my post before it becomes a free for all against the ACF
  9. CJ, are you hating women at the moment, have they upset you :?
  10. mwl946

Thank you RG, thats all I wished to know.
  11. Dont be like that MWL, it is just CJ 8O

PM if you want me to phone about for info, but what is the run PFT, ICFT?
  12. No - Just curious what her different job is that no blokes take part in which would raise the question that she should require less weight.

Now do calm yourselves. I know there is a bit of a love fest on arrse at the moment but I'm going to hope you're thick skinned enough not to be heart broken by a sarcastic comment.

I will further add at no time did I insult the ACF. The over sensitive one mixed up insults for the ACF and insults meant for him/her/it!

Sarcastic insults that probably wouldn't have offended a Cub Scout but still an insult all the same.

I will go and scar my wrists for causing someone such pain.
  13. But 55lbs is all up and for Infantry!
  14. I'm assuming you mean:

Advanced Combat Fitness Test (ACFT1) A 1.5 Mile run, with a bergan weighing 20kg in under 15mins?

Edited to add: ACFT1 Part 1
  15. A PFT in a quarter of an hour carrying 25kg shouldn't be too much of a challenge for anyone attached to an inf bn; if it is then then more phys might be in order. CJ is right when he says that women should have the same loads as the men; there's no biological reason why a woman can't be as fit as a man.

I'd suggest that even if there was a reduced weight for women she would be best off just doing as everyone else does.