Weight and Reps

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by shycawn, Nov 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just needed to know - whats better, low weight high rep OR high weight low rep. Eg. I could use a smaller dumbell and do 100 reps or use a bigger one and to 10-20?

Thanks in advance - LICHFIELD SELECTION ON 19TH WOO (gulp)

EDIT: Sorry officer

2. Depends what you want to do, low reps with heavy weight will bulk you up, lighter weight with high reps will build stamina and tone you up, adjusting your diet helps a lot as well.

If your doing selection stick to press ups, sit ups and running!

3. I tend to use the high weight one, on my ankles, but after breaking my leg for the 13th time I gave up and tried the low weight one.

Try the Joining Up thread, they may be more help. In fact, try searching it first. That's a good girl.

4. grammer police - question marks go at the end. :twisted:

5. Is that like grammar? With a capital letter?

Just asking.

6. I was told we dont do either situps/pressups at selection

7. not sure but is this correct - Nonce?

8. Low Reps: 1 - 5 = Strength/Power.

Medium Reps: 8 - 12 = Hypertrophy(bulk).

High Reps: 15 and higher = Muscle Endurance.

9. Who is an officer?

Doc is not worthy to lick my boots.

10. Wouldn't you rather gain strength, power AND endurance.

11. I've been lifting weights for a couple of years, but I'm not a competitive power lifter or bodybuilder. www.exrx.net explains a lot of the theory with references to scientific studies to support their claims.

Basics:-

If you train with a weight you can just about lift 5 times, and then increase the weight as often as possible, you will mostly be training your nervous system to activate more fibres in each muscle, rather than thickening up the fibres and getting bulky.

Doing the same exercise with a weight you can handle for 6-12 reps will thicken the fibres up by making the stuff that actually contracts thicker, and the jelly-like supply of fuel around it take on more short-term fuel stores for next time (this is mostly what body-builders aim for to get the big muscles)

Handling a weight for 12-20 times makes you develop more blood vessels to help you remove waste products and keep everything supplied (as do other 'muscle endurance' exercises like pushups etc..)

There is cross-over between all the rep ranges, so a beginner just doing 3 sets of 5 with the biggest weight they can handle will still get bigger and notice the odd new vein. Somebody just building up from 20 to 50 pushups will probably see their arms, shoulders and chest get a bit bigger etc..

It's a big nerd-science topic on body building, power-lifting websites which I can't fully summarize here. If you want to grow new muscle tissue, the diet and amount of rest/sleep you get is pretty much as important as what exercise you do, past a certain stage.

I don't know how useful this stuff is for army selection tests, because I'm not in yet myself. The only test of raw maximum strength I see is the deadlift, and I don't have a problem with a good score on that. For me it's about losing body fat and becoming a faster runner over 1.5 miles, so I'm focussing on diet and running longer distances.

12. That's nowt - my head fell off last week.

Boys - take it to the Joining Up thread so the rest of them can read your wisdom.

Thanks in advance.

13. 5x5 is where it's at.

14. No question that 5X5 is an excellent strength training program. The problem is it's designed for people who don't do a lot of aerobic training. 5X5 can be so intensive that doing a lot of running as well can lead to over-training.

A gym instructor told me that a lot of the Rugby players use 5X5 during the off-season, when they are concentrating on developing power. During the playing season, they switch to a 3X3 workout; basically the same but a few more exercises and less sets. This allows them to keep gaining in strength without overtraining.

15. Unfortunately unless your very undertrained, it isn't possible to do this.

That's why athletes have strength, power and endurance cycles, the length of which depending on what their primary need is for their sport