Weekly fitness routine

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by gills25, Feb 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

basically in an UOTC unit and transferring to a normal TA unit at the end of march, will be going to Pirbright in June.
    Current PFA is 9.45.
    just wanted to know if there are any pti's out there who could verify my training regime as i want to get as fit as i can before june.

my routine is currently three 8mile runs a week, with sit ups and press ups after. and a 4mile loaded march. plan to keep adding miles to the march until i reach 8miles on a regular basis.

any advice would be great
  2. You're fit enough. Get shagging.
  3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Drop one of your 8 milers and do some speedwork; quarter or half mile reps.
  4. Signallers

Signallers Book Reviewer

Should get a fitness pack in your application pack designed by PTI's anyway!
  5. if i went for reps how far would you say to go? 4 mile steady state run and then 2 miles worth of reps?
  6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

The number 28. It goes from Guilford via Pirbright to Woking. It has fairly comfortable seats albeit in a dreadful tartan pattern and the fares are very reasonable. Cars and bikes may be nicked in Woking but watch it in Guilford because the coppers fancy themselves. Horses may be nicked in Worplesdon but only after dark.

God help you if you ever find yourself up Otterburn or Ridsdale way. We make short work of horse thieves.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. How about stop flapping, the PT standards are abysmal in the TA and you should carry on what your doing. You will have no problems

Just to put it into context, I ran a PFT last Tues and there was a 50% fail rate.

I particularly enjoy watching them see their bounty disappear as they collapse over the line at an impressive 13.49

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Mate, it's the fúcking TA. You're fine as you are. Sod working your arse off- the regular DS at Pirshite won't care either way. Just stay injury free.
  9. noted, will stop flapping. t

Thanks for the insight!
  10. Good advice..... you also need bags of confidence and determination and you should sail through it... good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Commendable, although next time try it without using a steamroller.
  12. With a time of 9.45 in the TA, YOU could be the PTI.
  13. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I'm assuming you're doing this as much for your benefit as for the Army's and maybe you'd like to get under 9 mins for a PFT.

Try this for starters:

2 mile easy jog and some stretching, then
    4 x 800m in 3 mins each with a full (2 min) recovery between each rep,
    then 2 mile jog to warm down.

or if you prefer something sharper do 2 x 3 x 400 in 80 to 85 secs.

Once you're comfortable with that pace, you can tinker with the routine. Shave 5 secs off each rep, or do an extra one or knock 20 secs off your recovery; but only alter one variable at a time.

Another way of injecting speed is fartlek. On your 8 miler insert effort as you feel like, say 300m hard uphill then back to steady state; then a quick 200m to the next tree and so on.
  14. thanks, i will defiantly give that a go this week, and yeah sub 9 would be magic