Weekend on the ranges

Ullo,

Coming weekend the company gets to spend two days at the rifle range. Last night a mail from the OC came saying that all things that would spice this up (the contact range and some manoeuvre worl) have been axed. :x

I'm now looking at taking my section to a rifle range and very little else for two days.

Anyone got any idea's to spice things up a little?

Blindfold shooting? Blank/live lucky dip? Finger painting on the figure 11s? Naked Twister with the Range Warden on the 300m point? Decorating the fire trenches with ethnic beads and throws? Sand castle competition in the butts? Guess the difference between the tea & the coffee?

Use your imagination.

Falling plate comp. march and shoot (ie march the toms from a distance away and then get them to bomb up on arrival at the point).

FFBox said:
Best shot pool? Section shotgun?
Thanks, guys.

But ehm. What's section shotgun? I've got a lively imagination and what I imagine this to be will get me in trouble with the range safety people. As will most of my other ideas!

I wanted to do a little life fire contact drill and tunneling drill. The CSM wouldn't have any of it.

The_Duke

LE
If you practice certain elements of the APWT, you can stay within pam 20, but do some more interesting shoots. Specifically, the standing to kneeling practices can be used to simulate the RTR element of the section battle drills.

Snap shooting standing, then rapid but accurate fire from kneeling/squatting. Not as good as full contact drills, but adds the element of movement/rapid reaction to a static range practice, and builds up to LFTT.

Add in some stone man racing, the "Grand National", eat the block of margarine/one man one norgie competitions and you have the makings of a good range day!

The guy in the section who's grouping is akin to a shot gun spread.

The best thing that you could do with two days on the ranges would be to go through LF1-10 (or whatever you can doon your range), teaching the guys to shoot from scratch. Isolate the turbo-mong and just give him 1-1 training, doing the whole dummy-ball-dummy thing and actually get them up to a decent standard.

Once you've done all that, have a few competitive shoots. Balloons are a good one. If you're on a ETR fire the first practice of the Roupell Cup.

FFBox said:
The guy in the section who's grouping is akin to a shot gun spread.
In my mind's eye I saw the section lined up a'la Sharpe's Chosen Men and opening up on one fig. 11. Trying to completely shoot it to bits, the rounds from all those rifles resembling a shotgun impact! :D

Seems like a good idea when the range safety people aren't there, though!

Agree with the previous posters.

Firstly, get the guys really well zero'ed. Often good zeroing is overlooked.

Secondly, crack through the obvious - APWT etc.

Then why not try competition shoots - Rappell etc? Some time ago as a very green 2Lt I was jiffed to enter a regimental team into the NISAAM at lastminute.com, thought "No dramas, should be pretty simple". Three days later I was being given a good listening-to by the Regimental Colonel.

He didn't mind our being beaten by the R IRISH shooting team - PT dodgers with years of experience, to a man.

He was pretty unimpressed that we were beaten by the A&SH and RGJ. He was distinctly cool that we came behind the the D&D.

He could just about swallow his regiment being beaten by the KRH, if he was in a particularly generous frame of mind ( he wasn't ). But being beaten by the NI CSS Regt? :oops:

Cue red faced wrath and a ballistic chest poking for 2Lt Charlie Cong. Actually, I got off lightly as his finger was shaking so much he could barely get a grouping on my sternum.

A brief, impassioned phone call to my Adjt and 10 extras later I learnt the value of learning about, and practicing, competition shoots. There is an easier way!

Would be a good couple of hours if you make it an inter-Section competition and you'd be suprised how relevant the shoots are - a good deal of snap shooting as I remember.

Combine it with a March and Shoot, possibly including the camp's obstacle course, or some TLFTT and you are laughing.

And as for concurrent activity? Well Murderball, British Bulldogs, "King of the Ring" and "Pop Idol" should guarantee some morale.

You'll find the address of the nearest hospital in your RASP particularly pertinent! :D

Also "Toby Tig" works well on long range days. An OR sport only, thank god. Or at least it should be... I can't speak for the Paras anyway. For them its probably foreplay.

Charlie

How about firing with bayonets fixed? Takes a bit of getting used to and it's pound to a pinch they'll have to do it at some point. Or, if you have a 4 or 600m range Gallery range available, some of the Pam 20 shoots are pretty testing.

Also, and I stand by to be corrected, I think on a 1-3 range so long as the firers are stationary at the point of releasing the shot, it doesn't matter what rag-dolling they've been up to beforehand. You could have them pepper-potting onto the firing point and if there are any issues on weapon states have them make safe before each move. It may detract from the realism but it'll get them used to weapon handling while hot and sweaty.

Fnarr-fnarr.

smartascarrots said:
How about firing with bayonets fixed? Takes a bit of getting used to and it's pound to a pinch they'll have to do it at some point. Or, if you have a 4 or 600m range Gallery range available, some of the Pam 20 shoots are pretty testing.

Also, and I stand by to be corrected, I think on a 1-3 range so long as the firers are stationary at the point of releasing the shot, it doesn't matter what rag-dolling they've been up to beforehand. You could have them pepper-potting onto the firing point and if there are any issues on weapon states have them make safe before each move. It may detract from the realism but it'll get them used to weapon handling while hot and sweaty.

Fnarr-fnarr.
Have a quick check with the SASC. Last time I tried to fire with swords fixed, there was a ban on it becuse they keep flying off.

ugly

LE
Can you get away with blowing up lumps of range? If so go for batsim, include induced stappages by issuing mags half full, forcing reloads when they are most awkward. If that fails invite me and I will show you how to shoot a defensive shoot with a 5 round bolt action thats friends with your dentist!

SO3Paperclips said:
The best thing that you could do with two days on the ranges would be to go through LF1-10 (or whatever you can doon your range), teaching the guys to shoot from scratch. Isolate the turbo-mong and just give him 1-1 training, doing the whole dummy-ball-dummy thing and actually get them up to a decent standard.
Agreed. One useful technique is to split people into pairs (you'll never have enough qualified coaches on a TA range weekend); get people to watch their oppo for obvious mistakes over a short practice - e.g. "eyes open as the shot is released and followed through - no blinking", or "smooth trigger pull; trigger released as part of follow through".

Make sure that everyone understands the principles of marksmanship.

Make sure that everyone has a correctly set-up sight, with all bolts tightened (not just the locking nuts), boresighted with the Collimators, before they start zeroing - it really speeds things up when you don't have someone on the detail who's five feet to the right of the target, or you can wobble the SUSAT left and right ("but the locking nuts are tight!" - numpty)

Teach and practice the "I've had a stoppage" detector. When you take the pressure off the trigger after the shot, and feel the clunk as the safety sear engages, you know that the weapon has recocked successfully. If you don't feel the clunk, go straight into your IA drills. If you do the "can I snatch the trigger and release it before the bullet is out of the barrel", you get a slap :)

Get a good shooter in who's spent a decent amount of time with a unit shooting team to talk about hints and tips for improving your shooting. Run a walt filter over them to make sure that they teach realistic firing positions for LFTT, and not things that are tuned to Pam 20 on a gallery range.

SO3Paperclips said:
Once you've done all that, have a few competitive shoots. Balloons are a good one. If you're on a ETR fire the first practice of the Roupell Cup.
Errrr.... shouldn't that be second practice of the Roupell? You know, the triple exposures from the fire trench, fall when hit?

What about taking out the CWS (with covers on obviously), and zeroing them? Nothing like a simulated night shoot.

Or an ambush competition? Tell the detail that they are the killing group, allow the targets to come up gradually (will-not-fall-when-hit, to avoid any cross-lane shooting on the gallery range), then give a realistic field signal to open fire (not "Fire!", more like tapping the shoulder of the bloke on FP6), and record the number of hits in the six seconds before you drop the targets.

Have you still got an IBSR booked? I heard a cracker from 15 Para once, where they used the IBSR as a section in defence range - ran it all night, with the sentries occasionally having something to report / shoot at, culminating in a full on "stand to", "defend the position" with flanking fire and bangs from PE charges.

Half the fun is coming up with stuff that sits within the Range Standing Orders, Pam 21, and which still allows fun training.

SO3Paperclips said:
smartascarrots said:

Fnarr-fnarr.
Have a quick check with the SASC. Last time I tried to fire with swords fixed, there was a ban on it becuse they keep flying off.

It is not a fecking SWORD.

And its not pepper potting either. Its Fire and Manouver.

F+M not going to happen on a static range!

Kaye let your SPSI worry about it thats what he gets paid for.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Army Reserve 10
F Army Reserve 18
PartTimePongo Current Affairs, News and Analysis 1