• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Wednesday Sport

I've posted this in the Joining Up forum as it's a request for information from someone who's waiting for their start date to arrive rather than a specific sporting issue.

Is spending Wednesday afternoons playing sport something that happens during phase 1 and 2 training or only after training is complete?

Can I really choose anything I want or is the situation more likely to be selecting from a list like football, cricket, rugby etc that are catered for on site?

Are my choices of sport more likely to be taken seriously if I have previous experience of them?

I would like to do horse-riding, fencing and shooting/archery with a longer term goal of competing in pentathlons.

I was in two minds about posting this in Joining Up or Sports, Adventure Training and Events... bemused as to why it's been moved to the Naafi.

You'll certainly not be getting a "sports" afternoon in basic that's for sure unless you class getting beasted during PT as "sport" These days it's all down to the unit and if they can squeeze them in stand to be corrected though

Sports afternoons in my regiment usually conisisted of a varied range of interesting sports.......no it didn't,what the f uck am I talking about? It was always f ucking football. Great if you like playing football,but s hit if you don't.
Things changed when I finally got out of a rifle company though. Swimming in the Commy Pool? - f uck yeah!
A bunch of hairy arsed Jocks f ucking about on the flumes for an hour,then across the road to the Golden Medal for an afternoon sesh.

Not had a sportie in over 9 months, always "too busy" apparently... funny that, can't be all that busy if they get everyone brushing the garages out as often as we do!

During the rule of one particular TSM we always had troop orienteering when we got a sports afternoon. It consisted of three checkpoints.
1. Front steps of the Battery office.
2. Front steps of the block.
3. Front steps of the King's Arms.

Happy days.

Sports afternoon in the 1st Bn Civil Service - generally one Friday PM a month at one of the local hostelries in the vicinity. Always good for a laugh.

When serving, anything from a few swallys at the local then down the pool eyeing up the talent whilst launching oneself into oblivion from the top diving board. Always good for a laugh as well.

Orienteering, CO's Fun Run (yeah right!), Ballykinler beach run, all there and all great fun.

Sports afternoon in the 1st Bn Civil Service - generally one Friday PM a month at one of the local hostelries in the vicinity. Always good for a laugh.

When serving, anything from a few swallys at the local then down the pool eyeing up the talent whilst launching oneself into oblivion from the top diving board. Always good for a laugh as well.

Orienteering, CO's Fun Run (yeah right!), Ballykinler beach run, all there and all great fun.

REME SEE, Arborfield, any time in the 70s (and probably 80s/90s, maybe even today). One of the main sports on a Wednesday afternoon was hunting Bramshills.............

Pete_the_writer said:
REME SEE, Arborfield, any time in the 70s (and probably 80s/90s, maybe even today). One of the main sports on a Wednesday afternoon was hunting Bramshills.............

I remember it well. Then depending who you'd picked up that afternoon in the Bramshill depended who you were playing "hide the sausage" with that night! :eek:

verticalgyro said:
Norfolknchance said:
Pete_the_writer said:

I remember it well. Then depending who you'd picked up that afternoon in the Bramshill depended who you were playing "hide the sausage" with that night! :eek:
http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Bramshill_Hunt
Yep, but that was in 1970, pre-kebabs and any other chuck-up food!

Are you trying to tell me that the rose tinted picture my recruitment sergeant painted of a world of sporting opportunities may not be wholly accurate?

SteaknAlePie said:
I would like to do pint-drinking, farting and puking/lechery with a longer term goal of competing in pie eating contests.
More realistic?

Does anyone know anything about the Army pentathlon team, is it made up of people who pursue it in their own time and out of their own pocket?

Latest Threads