Wednesday Sport

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by SteaknAlePie, Aug 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've posted this in the Joining Up forum as it's a request for information from someone who's waiting for their start date to arrive rather than a specific sporting issue.

Is spending Wednesday afternoons playing sport something that happens during phase 1 and 2 training or only after training is complete?

Can I really choose anything I want or is the situation more likely to be selecting from a list like football, cricket, rugby etc that are catered for on site?

Are my choices of sport more likely to be taken seriously if I have previous experience of them?

I would like to do horse-riding, fencing and shooting/archery with a longer term goal of competing in pentathlons.

2. Ah, the sports afternoon; I remember those.

3. I was in two minds about posting this in Joining Up or Sports, Adventure Training and Events... bemused as to why it's been moved to the Naafi.

4. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

You'll certainly not be getting a "sports" afternoon in basic that's for sure unless you class getting beasted during PT as "sport" These days it's all down to the unit and if they can squeeze them in stand to be corrected though

5. Me too! :drool:

6. i actually played sport a few times on those afternoons as well!!

7. Pads transport used to leave camp @ 13.00, the only sport we played was darts and dominoes in the local. :) :)

8. Sports afternoons in my regiment usually conisisted of a varied range of interesting sports.......no it didn't,what the f uck am I talking about? It was always f ucking football. Great if you like playing football,but s hit if you don't.
    Things changed when I finally got out of a rifle company though. Swimming in the Commy Pool? - f uck yeah!
    A bunch of hairy arsed Jocks f ucking about on the flumes for an hour,then across the road to the Golden Medal for an afternoon sesh.

9. Not had a sportie in over 9 months, always "too busy" apparently... funny that, can't be all that busy if they get everyone brushing the garages out as often as we do!

10. During the rule of one particular TSM we always had troop orienteering when we got a sports afternoon. It consisted of three checkpoints.
    1. Front steps of the Battery office.
    2. Front steps of the block.
    3. Front steps of the King's Arms.

Happy days.

11. Sports afternoon in the 1st Bn Civil Service - generally one Friday PM a month at one of the local hostelries in the vicinity. Always good for a laugh.

When serving, anything from a few swallys at the local then down the pool eyeing up the talent whilst launching oneself into oblivion from the top diving board. Always good for a laugh as well.

Orienteering, CO's Fun Run (yeah right!), Ballykinler beach run, all there and all great fun.

12. Sports afternoon in the 1st Bn Civil Service - generally one Friday PM a month at one of the local hostelries in the vicinity. Always good for a laugh.

When serving, anything from a few swallys at the local then down the pool eyeing up the talent whilst launching oneself into oblivion from the top diving board. Always good for a laugh as well.

Orienteering, CO's Fun Run (yeah right!), Ballykinler beach run, all there and all great fun.

13. REME SEE, Arborfield, any time in the 70s (and probably 80s/90s, maybe even today). One of the main sports on a Wednesday afternoon was hunting Bramshills.............

14. I remember it well. Then depending who you'd picked up that afternoon in the Bramshill depended who you were playing "hide the sausage" with that night! :eek:

15. Yep, but that was in 1970, pre-kebabs and any other chuck-up food!