Weddings and Uniforms

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by FormerlySuperNoob, Nov 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok so a bit of a random thread, hence why it's in the NAAFI !

Yesterday I asked my darling to marry me (My 2nd marriage this will be) and she agreed.

So we got talking today about the wedding and I realised I've got a bit of a dilemma.

See, whilst I did serve it was a crap job, for a crap period of time, I have a single medal, which is the crappest of the crap and low rank.

My brother and most of my school friends (who will attend) are either forces or left the forces at modestly senior level (we're talking ex and currently serving Army Captains and Lieutenants, ex-RM Captain, ex and serving RN Lt Cdr + others of similiar or higher rank) and have a fair old bit of gongage.

My brother will of course be my best man, and as this is a church wedding will probably want to show up in uniform or some such.

I am worried. I don't want to look like a complete tosser and show up in my old uniform (of which I am not proud, enlisting at that age and that rank was a mistake and I accept that) nor do I want to upset my brother who I am incredibly proud of and prohibit him wearing his uniform + well earned (real) medals.

However, if he wears it then all my buddies will want to and I'll probably be expected to.

I'm torn between being proud as hell of my brother and rightly so, and not wanting to be upstaged at my own wedding by mad quantities of tin.

Any ideas?

In advance - no pictures of aforementioned gash shall be supplied so whilst I know you'll ask I won't respond to them individually just take it as a blanket 'do one'.
  2. Make 'em all wear top hat and tails for 'security reasons'!!
  3. On the invitations you send out, clearly state the dress code is 'No uniform' if you think others are likely to take it upon themselves to wear 2's.

You're a civvy now, she's a civvy I assume, no need for any uniform at the ceremony. I'm sure all the potential guests have suitable civvy suits or can hire one if not.
  4. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

If you are no longer serving, dont wear uniform in my opinion. Wear something you do feel proud in, your brother can be in uniform. However, its your wedding so he wears what you want him to.
  5. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It's your wedding, make them wear whatever you want.

Failing that blame it all on the wife and say she wants everyone to wear top hats, tails and garishly loud cravattes.
  6. My dad tentitively suggested I should wear uniform at my second wedding as 'you're allowed to'. Yeah, cheers Dad, I'm not wearing uniform five years after leaving the Army. Besides which, like you my gongage would have made me look like a cistercian monk in the jewelry section of Argos.

I just told friends I would be wearing a suit and they could come in whatever smart dress they wanted - civvy or uniform. No one rocked up in uniform.
  7. Make them all go with nothing on at all, but with a pencil stuffed up their bums.
    When asked, you can say you themed it so that they all would come as "pencil sharpeners", to avoid embarrassment about "uniforms and medals".

Amazing how a little lateral thought can come up with such a simple solution.
  8. What would be the problem of you wearing suit or top/tails and everyone that is serving coming in their uniforms? As you said, you are no longer serving so whats the problem?
    Personally if I were you, i would be incredibly proud to have all those servicemen turn up at my wedding in their uniforms. The pictures alone would be something to treasure.
    Stop being a girl! Do you think all those guys will be thinking that they are showing you up? They are coming to celebrate a friends wedding.

....and as this is the're a civvie now, stop trying to be a walting cnut in an old uniform ;)
  9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

One of the traditions that has disappeared used to be that the bridegroom and best man would wear a morning suit with Regt'l tie, whilst the sword party would wear Blues. Admittedly this format was more normally worn by serving officers in the TA, but it would fit perfectly here.

You get to wear morning dress, your bride gets to walk under the swords, and your muckers get a chance to fail at pulling the bridesmaids whilst wearing uniform.

As a side note, you definitely shouldn't be wearing kit if you've now left.
  10. Why the fuck would you want to wear a uniform if you are a fucking civvie? The fact that you feel you have to come on here and ask such a wanky question speaks volumes.
    I was never really one for wearing uniforms at weddings, why the fuck would you wear clothes that you wear to work when your off duty?
  11. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Clearly you've never spit roasted a bridesmaid with a Royal Marine Commando while dressed in your finest number 1s.

It's fucking magic.
  12. Fixed that for you.
  13. I'd second the "you in morning suit, serving personnel in uniform if they feel like it" suggestions.

I was no longer in (the TA) when I got married and would have felt a bit of a walt getting married in Blues, even if it's allowed (which sounds uncertain). But that's no reason for your brother and the rest not to strut around in their best bibs and tuckers. Saves bro hiring a morning suit, apart from anything else!

Slightly off topic ... I find it a bit sad that you consider enlisting as a tom to have been a mistake. Not sure I would have enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed being an officer, but I would have been just as proud.
  14. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Refixed for proper mental image.