Wedding Security

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Arte_et_Marte, Jan 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now that those who decide such issues have released details regarding the forthcoming Royal Wedding, I have some questions.

As a result of this information, and given the ongoing terrorist threats, is the security plan now going to be an utter ball-ache?

Why is this information now in the public domain? (I realise that I am possibly adding to that problem by posting here)

Perhaps, (I am thinking aloud here) It is a bluff, and the happy couple will crack on with their 'do in another place.

Sky News

2. Somehow I don't think a potential terrorist is going to suddenly have a eureka moment over this tbh.

3. There are only a few routes that could have been used so really it doesn't take the brains of an Archbishop what one would actually be used

4. Because the whole, Beware of the evil terrorists, schtick is just the latest in the ongoing "give the public an enemy to hate".

5. You surprise me AeM I thought you would have a better grasp of risk management.

6. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I wonder if the 'usual suspects' will be wanting to do a spot of protesting/rioting on the day.

If they do I wonder how the Met will handle it. If they ask in advance for a spot to make their protest will they be given it? If I was a legit punter going down for the day to wave a flag at the new fairy tale Princess I'd be more than a bit miffed to find a rag tag of the disaffected had been given a place whilst I had to spend the night in a doss bag to reserve my slot.

On the other hand if they don't ask and simply turn up I can't imaging they will be particularly sympathetically received by the flag waving masses and that breaches of the peace may ensue.

Would plod need to guard them?

7. Those days left me when I left TVP in '95 mate.

And to add to that, the general terrorist threat was nowhere near as high. ( I never had time for terrorists, I was too busy with the local scroats)

I am not overly concerned, and I will not be in attendance, however it just seems to be out of sorts with the current security state.

Thinking aloud. (Again) By doing nothing I suppose the terrorist wins.

8. Not being confrontational, but, there were only two choices of venue, they have opted for the closest and realistically only 6 routes. It is the most policed and secured area of London, so there should be no real dramas.

Hang on though, it is the Met we are talking about. :)

9. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

That bloody wedding. I thought it was the Afghans looking for FOOs and the like to ensure that their 'wedding celebrations' went off without airstrikes.

10. It will be interesting how much more details are released leading up to this event, i'll echo buggerAll's view on how the Met will deal

With a combination of Military presence, Civpol and PSC the comms aspect will be interesting,

When was the last time the Met dealt with something of this size, (G20 excluded) etc?

11. There's to be a Royal Wedding soon?

12. Could be quite entertaining really. I can't see Joe public taking to kindly to the pork-a-phobics of Luton travelling down to hurl abuse.
    Given that there may well be hundreds of thousands of highly patriotic royalists on the streets who might take serious offence I would imagine they wouldn't be tret very nicely.

On a serious note, I won't be particularly impressed if anyone is given permision to protest (or atempts to do so without it)

13. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I must admit I had in mind the soap dodging student scroungers who attacked the father of the groom during their recent outing to the capital but no doubt the Luton mob might also want to vent their anger against the world.

It's a difficult one. The right to legit protest and freedom of speech against the rights of the majority to enjoy a peaceful day out watching their (presumed) future monarch get married.

BTB Freedom of speech aside I would consider that anyone out protesting on the day who was not born British would be acting in a way that is incompatible with their status as a naturalized subject or visitor to this country and should be (robustly) invited to leave it ASAP.

14. trooping the colour, NYE, state opening of parliament, state visits (Qatar most recent) Op Telic service at St Pauls, Battle of Britain memorial, Rememberance Sunday, marathon, DSEI

15. Ahhh sorry, you meant the soap-a-phobics rather than the pork-a-phobics. My mistake.

Besides, it isn't the right to protest they would be excercising, just an outright intention to cause offence. Protest is a right, setting out to cause offence and create a civil disturbance isn't. Offensive protests at a Royal Wedding aren't going to end happily.
    If they want to protest about something then they can pick another day.