Webtex assault vests

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by tebagagap, Feb 6, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Been offered a webtex Assault vest , looks like the PLCE issued jobbys. anyone have any experience with this kinda kit? I know its not IR treated....but thought it might be a good bit of exercise kit.

Anyway if its poo, let me know.

Paddy

2. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Mate of mine makes the issue kit and is less than impressed with the WebTex stuff.

Apart from it being constructed of non-IRR, non-milspec texturised nylon, the webbing straps are polypropolene, the Fastex-type clips are brittle, the thread is of a low quality and the stitching 'piss-poor' and only single row in important areas. Oh, and the zips are cheap.

He doesn't reckon it's of use to anyone except cadets, and perhaps not even them. But that's only his professional opinion, there might be hordes of rufty-tufties out there that think it's great.

3. cheers cutaway, an informative post. think i will give that one a miss.

4. cheers cutaway, an informative post. think i will give that one a miss.

5. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Popular with cadets, it is a good piece of kit for the money but do not ever try and convince yourself that it is an alternative to either the issue ones or some of the big boys toy shop manufacturers like Arktis.

I have one and it is superb for what I do these days, ie work with cadets.

I would leave it at that.

6. Anyone know a good supplier for the issue vests - website if poss?

7. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Keep an eye on Ebay, stuff comes up regularly.

8. they last about a tour if that ok for stag and vechicle duty wouldnt want to rely on one for long army supposed to be buying thousand of cop vests for telic so if coming out here save your dosh . oh cop vests cost army £35 quid reliably informed should have mine at end of month but
    dosent look like it coming :roll:

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Yeah, your QM should be able to get you the NSMnumber and then the RSM will happily let you wear the kit. If you a seeking it by a non-official route you'll probably incur somebodies jealously/wrath along the way. I remember 33 pattern SMG magazine pouches, that was the day...

10. don't be too harsh on the vests as how good they are depends on how you actually use them.

i have been based in baghdad for the past three months and my web-tex vest has been fantastic.

we drive brand new land-rover discoveries here an have to wear body armour at all times and there is no way on earth you can do this with CEFO, belt order carries too little and chest rigs are too close to the steering wheel.

i would say 90% of the soldiers here in baghdad are using assault vests - mostly built by web-tex and have had no real problems. where fasteners have broken they have gotten spares from the stores and had them re-sewn back on.

for operations in vehicles i highly recommend them as your kit is to hand, you can sit comfortably with your back against the seat and they are relatively low profile.

there is now an issued version (desert colour) and it seems very well made and designed and it's in use by the soldiers here in baghdad.

i think assault vests (not necessarily web-tex) are fantastic.

11. I knew someone 10 years ago who bought chest webbing but subsequently found out that the pouches were too small for the rifle magazine. We should have thought at the time to suggest that he went to the armoury and asked for a weapon whose mags would fit his webbing such as an HK, he might have actually done it!

12. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm using a webtex vest out here and would agree that they are ideal for vehicle commanders/drivers. I've had mine for several months now and have had no problems; webtex even guaranteed them against any breakages during our three months training for Op Telic 4. Allegedly we are going to be issued COP vests but I'll believe that when my signature is on the 1154.

13. I know what you mean abot the clips being brittle. I've just bought a Webtex Bergen, and i had one of the shoulder adjustment buckles go "ping" when i was adjusting the fit. As i'm RAF and expected to go teararsing around in a CVR(T) as a secondary duty (and that includes Telic for our sins), sometimes we have to fork out for our own kit. You think you've got it bad with your supply system, but the RAF is very slow to catch on to this Deployed Operating Base concept. There's a lot of Cold War types still running things at Command level that think we still sit tight in our Main Operating bases waiting for the Red hoards to come swarming over the horizon, but we're getting there.

14. I know what you mean abot the clips being brittle. I've just bought a Webtex Bergen, and i had one of the shoulder adjustment buckles go "ping" when i was adjusting the fit. As i'm RAF and expected to go teararsing around in a CVR(T) as a secondary duty (and that includes Telic for our sins), sometimes we have to fork out for our own kit. You think you've got it bad with your supply system, but the RAF is very slow to catch on to this Deployed Operating Base concept. There's a lot of Cold War types still running things at Command level that think we still sit tight in our Main Operating bases waiting for the Red hoards to come swarming over the horizon, but we're getting there.

15. Thanks for all the reply, especially the boys that have been using this kit on ops.

My role is primarly vehical based....give me back my CVR(T)! bloody stripped down rovers! I think i'm going to try the official channels or just fork out for a real one, its the Non IR proofing that worries me.....glowing up like a christmas tree to anyone with IR sighting system is a put off!

Anyway, thanks again.

Paddy