Website Help

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by McVitie, Aug 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im looking for a decent WYSIWYG website program, anybody reccomend and where I can obtain free of charge (due to being a tight c**t)?

Thank you kindly.
  2. Depends what you want to do with it matey. Are you after a commercial, traditional site (Frontpage is free), or perhaps a forum site like this running open source Dragonfly CMS? Other options are educational sites (course management system Moodle is free) or an intranet-based content management system like Sharepoint. The solution is definitely driven by the purpose.

3. Im after something simple, to create a news source type of site that would keep updated on a certain subject. I seem to remember Coffee Cup a few years back?? I did try and download Dreamweaver, but the damn file was corrupt!
  4. Front Page is OK, but most free website hosts don't support Front Page extensions. Come to that they will probably only offer HTML, which deprives you of the use of such tools as SQL, CGI, PHP. If you are the tight fisted tw@t that you profess to be you are unlikely to want to pay a host provider.
  5. No I Intend to pay for hosting and a .com name. Just seeing some of the prices for software, I had no intention In paying it. End of the day, Im only doing this as a hobby; not as a business.
  6. Your best bet would be to buy some web space with a MYSQL database and PHP or something similar.

Heart Internet are good, i have some web space hosted there. They offer a host of free programs, ranging from Forums to photo galleries for no extra cost. (i dont work for them by the way)
  7. Thanks for the help guys.
  8. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

for the first steps i would always recommend the dreamweaver programme

it's easy to understand - you can literally 'watch' in a preview everything you're doing
    oh and it's free - so if you don't like it - at least you won't lose money ;)
  9. joomlia - good free online CMS thingy
  10. How about trying HTML Kit, it's all GUI driven and looks OK.