Website design?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by elvislives, May 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, I've got a month off and as there is only so much w-nking you can do so I think its about time I learnt how to build a website. The thing is, I have not gat a scoobies.

Where do I start?
  2. microsoft frontpage works for me - - it isnt as swish as dreamweaver but it is usually free, or easily obtainable, and it is pretty straightforward to use

The hardest part is getting the first page right. You need to set up a folder first for your website, into which go all the images you wish to use. then open frontpage and get designing - if you move the image from its original folder it will remove it from your webpage.

I went through UKREG.COM for my webspace and domain name - took a few days to go live but no problems otherwise.

PM me for any further help - for what its worth, as im only dabbling in it really!

3. Get yourself a good easy to use package, such as MS Frontpage or Dreamweaver. These will allow you to feel your way through the layout of a page and how to create a hierachy for links within the site.

Before you touch the computer, however, get a pad and sketch what you want the site to look like in rough outline. This will provide you with a simple working model that you can base your work on.

Use tables to control the layout of the page.

Don't be too adventurous to begin with - get the basics sorted and then work on from there.

If you see a site that you like, download it onto your machine and open it with your web editing package (both Frontpage and Dreamweaver do this) and see how its put together.

Order plenty of coffee in.

4. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Personally, my recommendation is to start off by learning the basics of HTML rather than using something like Frontpage. Google for something like 'HTML tutorial' and then work through one of them. Its harder, considerably geekier but does at least mean that you know what you are talking about.

[rant on]Frontpage sites always, always, always look unprofessional [/rant off]

If you are interested in creating dynamic web pages (like this one) then I'd recommend getting hold of an old computer and installing Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP. Once again there are lots of tutorials out there and you're in the business of creating proper web sites!
  5. Whilst I agree that learning HTML is far better than using a WYSIWYG programme, it can be heavy for the beginner who wishes to see results immediately.

Also, while Frontpage sites can look terrible (especially if the templates are used) they can also be a more than acceptable option to those who wish to produce a simple site which has very few "whistles and bells" on it.

As a keen amatuer, I found Frontpage a good starting point before I started to dig into the murky world of SHTML and so on.
  6. I learnt using HTML and would also recomend that anyone who is interested in writing reasonable websites does as well. I now use DW ans there are still times when the WYSIWYG interface just doesn't do what you think it was going to and you have to get in there and start messing with the code. I hate Frontpage as it never does what you want it to do and adds so much rubbish in the code it's silly.

Organize your site. It's no good having a single folder full of HTML files .jpg .gif or .png files and never being able to find anything. If you keep a file per page and put the relevent files into it, when you want to delete or change a page it becomes a little easier.

Another good tip is to remeber that just because the site you've written looks okay on your browser and on your screen, don't forget that it may be viewed in other browsers like Netscape and Firefox, and that people have screens that may be a lot bigger or smaller than yours. Checking does stop you looking really stupid when it looks totally different on someone elses computer. Setting the padge width can prevent that latter, but a lot of people forget about it until after they've uploaded.
  7. to make a website the first thing you need to do it get a host as in somewhere to store your webpages. There are plenty of free hosts out there.

Try something like:

It'll put an advert on your website but it will be free. Just call the first page you make index.htm and upload it to the website (all will be clear once you sign up for a free acount)
  8. If you want to learn to handcode, or understand at least understan, HTML, PHP, JavaScript, SQL and the rest then take a look at All you'll need to develop your site then is Notepad or any other simple text editor, and an idea.

Play with the pages and run them off your PC first, once you've got a working site go and look for somewhere free to host them, quite often your ISP will give you some small free amount of webspace.
  9. jmj

jmj Old-Salt

You're off for a month? Then download a 30 day trial of dreamweaver here and learn with a decent prog. Frontpage is a total pile of garbage and produces the worst code going. Work with the split screen mode so you can edit in design mode and see what code it's producing.. It also contains reference links to help you understand the syntax of the html / php you're writing.

For small static sites, plain html is fine. Learn to use style sheets (css) and you'll find it much easier to make larger sites, keeping all the formatting info together in one file (so your site has a uniform look across the pages)

For dynamic or large sites, php is the mutts nuts, but you'll need a web host that supports it (most free space you may get with your isp won't!).

10. Cheers for the help fellow Arrser's. I have been thinking of this for a while. All I need to do is think of what it is I want on a website. I don't think my wife will let me sell phots of her naked..............HHmmmmmmmmmm!!! Maybe its worth a try.

Is this a good skill to have and can some money be made?
  11. There are two areas really:
    Creative: Come up with good graphics, layout, user interface, ideas, use packages such as photoshop, dreamweaver, flash etc.

Tech: The implementation of the website ideas e.g. setting up an online forum, server-side programming, improving database performance, writing scripts to get the above ideas to work.

Most of the tech guys I've met tend to be software engineers and know quite a few languages. Friend of mine runs a webdesign company, definately a more creative bod and while he is happiest being arty he can happily handle quite a bit of the scripting side of things, although his partners are more techy and tend to look after such things.

Work wise, it is out there, but it takes a long time to get to the standards required - but it all depends what kind of stuff you want to do. There's always a few beer tokens in knowing the basics and doing sites for your mates.
    Tutor I had earned a few thousand over a summer (from a beach bar no less) on 'holiday' implementing a few websites without having to write a line of original code, still had to understand it though.
  12. msr

msr LE

13. After considering the above advice and a little research I am gioing to get stuck into HTML.

Can anyone reccomend a good book? I've found some useful tutorials on the tinternet.

14. Think more xhtml and CSS it the way thing are going. As for which software, handcode for a week or two, stick with it you will learn a lot more a lot quicker.

Notepad and Firefox with the dev plug-in installed. Learn to use the dev pack it will really give you some depth.

Once you understand tables, stop using them in favour of css layout, you can always come back to them if needed.

Time yourself, learn to work fast, keep all you code, recycle as much as possible. While Dreamweaver is very good, put the effort into learning the basics and build your planning and conceptual skills. There will always be better software.

Get a system from start to finish, make it fast, make it accurate = £££

w3c school – better than most books and free.

Book’s I got on with (everyone different)
    New books all the time, don’t rush to buy a book check various forum (web design one’s)

Jeffrey zeldman - Design with Web Standard
    molly holzschlag - CSS Designer Edge
    dave shea / molly holzschlag - The Zen of CSS Design
    Steve Krug – Don’t Make Me Think!
    Dan Cederholm - Bulletproof Web Design

Jeremy keith - DOM Scripting (JavaScript – book for designer not geeks)

Hope I've not bored you to death!

Enjoy !