Webley& Scott

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by jonwilly, Oct 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents what ever became of the old established company of Webley & Scott who manufactured the 'Brake Back' pistols used by HM Forces up to Mid 60's ?
    They had a good reputaion. Did they never progress to auto pistols ?
  2. Yes mate,

Possibly the sexiest Webley auto was the Fosberry

3. Wasn't that the pistol that is you didn't hold correctly wouldn't c0ck itself? Interesting 'hybrid' of the principles of an automatic and a revolver but a bit pants in how it worked in real life IMHO.
  4. What a wierd looking auto. I am talking the Automatic Pistol as opposed to the self loading revolver.
    Mind you I was aware of the revolver, did anyone else try to make one.
  5. Yes, not trying to defend its position as a tool of war, but as a collectors item and as a novelty shooting toy its fantastic.

Sadly I only enjoyed mine for five months before the Nazi's took it from me in 97
  6. Yep, the Mateba Unica 6, made by some Italian firm, see link:

link :wink:

Also quite sexy.
  7. Webley should start making revolvers again, But in Magnum rounds.
  8. "But in Magnum rounds."

Oh I don't know about that, but when I fired a .455 I was
    suitably impressed with the result- both from behind the pistol and from looking at the receipient of the round.
  9. Yes, a break top revolver in a Magnum calibre -- for those days at the range when you really just want to have bits of lock work embedded in your skull.

Webleys certainly have character, but they are not a patch on a Smith.
  10. Stoatman, was a Webley a match for a Smith & Wesson of its day?
    I am no firearms expert just asking, from the enlightend.
  11. I'm sure others will disagree with me, but as a fighting and shooting arm, the Smith and Wesson M1917 is far superior to the Webley mark six. A very aged acquaintance of mine was issued the Smith in the Second World War (in .455) and loved it. It is fundamentally little different from a modern revolver, whereas the hinged frame of the Webley was a design dead end because it precludes the use of powerful cartridges. A hinged frame revolver is also more cumbersome and slower to reload than a swing out cylinder.
  12. One must never take lightly the value of combat expireance, good to hear that the S&W served your aquaintance well.
    Would modern materials not allow an up todate 'Webley' ? or are we (I) taking pure poo.
    By the way I think that as a weapon Pistols are very overated and are more a Flash (Backup) item, suited only to folk who are strictly never intended to use them.
    Bill Slim carried a carbine.
    And in my day, after Paddy started down the hill to take out the crew of the Lynx they had just shot down HK 53s soon became the order of the day for aircrew.
  13. what would have the most stoping power, .455 or .44 magnum when hitting the centre of mass at close range (20 to 10 meters). Does the magnum tend to over penetrate?
  14. The major problem with a break open design is that it is weaker and heavier/bulkier than a solid frame. Powerful cartridges, assuming that the frame is strong enough, will rapidly cause the hinge and stirrup to loosen, with a detrimental effect on accuracy. These are very good reasons why nobody has produced a modern break open design -- the only break open design I can think of which is in production are replica Smith and Wesson Schofield's.

mb43 -- it used to be believed in British military circles that slower and heavier was a better stopper, hence the adoption of the ridiculous .380/200. However, people with rather more experience of these things do not agree -- you can hunt bear with a 44 Magnum, you wouldn't want to do the same with a 455. I am also not aware of a serious over-penetration problem with 44 Magnum -- 9 mm Luger, on the other hand, is rather famous for it. 455 is certainly a manstopper, but is not even in the same league as 44 Magnum.
  15. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I had a Smith & Wesson Triple Lock, the original N frame revolver, in .455. A beautifully made and extremely accurate revolver. Much nicer to shoot than a Webley Mk VI in my opinion.