Webley Mk6 shoulder stock

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Porridge_gun, Nov 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Does anyone have one they want to part with / swap / flog / bribe or does anyone have a clue where I can source one.

I've found one at Worldwide arms but it looks like its been used as a bat for all its life.

Cheers

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Assuming you find a real one and not a knock off? I suppose you want to make a section 7 MkV1 into aa section 1 again?

3. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

No, its held abroad on an overseas FAC equivalent.

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ok, there was a time even less than 20 years ago when you could get them under £100 around brum. Not sure now as the owners of Wobblies tended to get the hump with the govt and shooting orgs in general, many may have been turned in for cash in 97.

5. You would need a 12" barrel and the stock would not have to be removable , unfortunately.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It could be done then!

7. Pretty sure the gun has to be manufactured with a 12" or more barrel, so probably not.

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Easy to do! It can be the original one extended, it doesn't require to be rifled just remanufactured! Case law says that parts from a section 5 are just parts so they make it section 1 by magically going through the parts bin!

Some mornings its hardly worth chewing through the straps! Sent from my Blackberry!

9. From what Ive been told by a RFD you cant convert sect 5 to sect 1 or you could smooth-bore assault rifles and sell em as s/auto shotguns ,sect 5 cant be changed from the manufacturers original design/dimensions , all the long barrel revolvers you see as sect 1 come from Ruger,Taurus etc with around 20" barrels !! ,overall length 24" an arm brace of around 8 to 10" is then welded to the bottom of the frame then over all length is then around 32" so still sect 1 , after this the barrel can then bet cut down to 12" so the OAL is 24" this way the are is always classed as sect 1 .

10. Although they will fit a Mk.VI, those shoulder stocks were made for Very Pistols. It was companies like World Wide Arms who stated selling them as stocks for Webleys and thus, the myth was born.

11. Case law says that pressure bearing parts are Section One, Section Two or Section Five e.g. a barrel. The letter of the law (1968 Firearms Act - as Amended) says that all (implied) parts are included.

The same Act, as Amended in 1988 prohibits the conversion of Section Five into a lower classification.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Whilst I am not arguing points of law, (ok maybe) the mere existence of Anglo Arms Straight pull SLRs L1A1 from parts bins proves that case law point I stated earlier. Also a pistol has tto be advertised (unless converted) as section 5 although it can be held as section 1 and also as section 7 provided you meet the criteria none of which include in law lengthening the barrel or adding a brace to the butt.
    Its all about what the section 1 licensee can have. Down here we have several 357 revolvers held by stalkers, other counties allow pistols and none of which I have encountered have yet demenaded permanent alteration such as mag restrictions although I have heard some forces insisting upon it!
    In fact I have had more grief getting a .17 HMR moderated pistol as a slaughtering instrument than any of the other pistols I have or do hold currently!

13. Cotswold Arms case - if A weapon is "downconverted" it remains Sec.5. But a Sec.1 rifle made up from random parts that may have once formed a sec.5 rifle is Sec.1... since you've not downconverted A rifle.

In essence, the parts bin purifies.

If I were a lawyer that would have cost you about 75 quid... unless I'd had to look it up, when you'd be ka-chinging my till to the tune of hundreds ;)

And it'd be fun to put a bunch of nominally identical rifles (manuf. sec.1; downconversion; "parts bin" sec. 1) in front of the CPS brief and Home Orifice expert in court and ask them to tell you which were Sec. 1 and which were Sec. 5 under the current understanding. I think the judge would then strike down the current understanding as "very very silly".