webley mk 111

I was browsing through an auction this afternoon ...the usual tat..but what caught my eye was a short barrelled 38 webley, It looked in fair nick, plain-steel and black grips and was stamped on the left side quite clearly (war patten) I cant describe it much more as it was in a locked glass cabinet. my question is...would it be worth anything? or is it just junk curiosity.
I've no idea if it was deactivated,but by what I could see it looked quite original.

A lot of Mess property has gone to the auction houses......

Thinking of taking the gentlemans way out are we? :)
Gentlemen have no need to take a way out. Cads, bounders and people from 'trade' with money are another matter mind, and not the type of chap one can really call a gentleman!

Depends which country you are in.

In UK, its most likely a de-act, although people do pay stupid money for this type of butchered relic. Maybe £200 for a MkIII in VG condition, £70 if its tat.

There is a market for "live" handguns (Sect5/7) in UK, but there are far more Webleys than licensed collectors. Hence price can be lower than for a de-act, unless its something very rare.

Depends which country you are in.

In UK, its most likely a de-act, although people do pay stupid money for this type of butchered relic. Maybe £200 for a MkIII in VG condition, £70 if its tat.

There is a market for "live" handguns (Sect5/7) in UK, but there are far more Webleys than licensed collectors. Hence price can be lower than for a de-act, unless its something very rare.
A quick search brought this up.

Deactivated Rare P.Webley MKIII Revolver - Allied Deactivated Guns - Deactivated Guns

If you can grab the one you saw cheap enough it might be worth it.

ugly

LE
A lot of the auctions have them for sale but without the serial number in advance or an RFD with sect 5 status you are out of luck even with a section 7.

what caught my eye was a short barrelled 38 webley, It looked in fair nick, plain-steel and black grips and was stamped on the left side quite clearly (war patten) I cant describe it much more as it was in a locked glass cabinet.
Are you sure that it didn't say: "War Finish"? Webley did that so as to differentiate their wartime products from their normal better fished commercial stuff.

Second I haven't seen a War Finish Mk.III, although Mark IVs are common.

I have that one's brother [Section 7(3)], just few numbers earlier.

38 cal 165 to 180 mk5.....webley mk 4 pocket 3 inch barrel 150 to 160..webley 455 service revolver (birds head grips) 550 .. 600

Are you sure that it didn't say: "War Finish"? Webley did that so as to differentiate their wartime products from their normal better fished commercial stuff.

Second I haven't seen a War Finish Mk.III, although Mark IVs are common.

I have that one's brother [Section 7(3)], just few numbers earlier.

You Sir are quite correct!
I went down to have another look and it was a mk iv, but it definately said "war pattern" on the left side.
cheers anyway.
I live in NI ...so it was mission impossible anyway.

Why is that? NI is not subject to the 1997 Firearms Amendment Act.
Didn't know that...but to be honest with you I have no interest in guns...my post was just out of curiosity.
cheers.
I used to be issued with a ppw.....more trouble than it was worth in my opinion.

the webley i have says made in England rare these days ,,,it allso says 3 have ton on the barrel,,its a mk iv 38,commercial.its a B reg ?DNP with queens crown..any info plz .. hopeing ugly comes up trumps again :D

ugly

LE
BNP brum nitro proof stamp! The 3 and half ton is the pressure level for the proof!