Webley and scott Bayonet practice rifle.

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by barneyrnsm, Jan 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have found one of these in the school were I work.It is dated 1910,and have been tasked with seeing if it is worth anything. I have found pictures of similar on rifleman.org,but no price. Any ideas where I can find a value? It is dated 1910,the year an OTC was formed at the school.
    TVM
    Barney

2. I p/x a Greener one dated 1937 to Fultons 6 years ago for a Snider; just looked at the reciept and they gave me £175 for it, I think from memory they wanted £275 and it was propped up in their doorway for well over a year afterwards

I paid £55 for it at an antiques fair at Shepton Mallet. :)

3. Like so many artifacts, they were until fairly recently thought valueless and so most have been scrapped or mucked about with. It is common to see them like that in the link posted by tartan-terrier for example, whitch has half of it missing. The link by barneyrsm show what it should look like.

That being the case I should have thought that they were something to hang on to as they will appreciate in value. (Like land, they aren't making any more.)

4. I am getting it hung on the wall at cadets,will include a little brass plaque saying it is from 1910,the same year an OTC was started at the school,was only going to sell it if it was worth a stupid amount of money! Thanks for all your help
    Barney

5. I'm surprised at how little interest there is in them, especially from bayonet collectors.................most odd!

6. Probably because they are ugly, heavy and, usually, rusty.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Heavy, yes, rusty only when I'm left out in the rain, an HAC marked one turned up at the IWM this month, nice but marked copies are rare hinting of private purchase.