Webbing used in 1982 during the Falklands War

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by REMEbrat, Oct 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did the British soldiers deployed to the Falklands in 1982 all have the standard set up of '58 pattern webbing or did they customise it? Do any pictures exist showing the alterations?

2. I did hear of a very senior Guardsman in The Scots Guards who deployed with two extra water bottle pouches and a buckshee poncho roll.

Photos do exist but his eyes and the offending extra kit have been masked out.

• Like Like x 6
  3. I've seen belt kit with 58patt ammo pouches and the rest water bottle pouches stitched together.

• Like Like x 1
  4. i always thought having my poncho roll on the top of my kidney pouches was well ally!

• Like Like x 4
  5. At the time 58 webbing was widely adapted - the ally thing at the time was to cram in as many waterbottle pouches as possible, as mentioned above. Other adaptions was to have two respirator pouches instead of your kidney pouches (sod that - they would flap all over the place).
    It really depended on the CoC in the unit and how much they let you get away with and what the lads got their hands on. Most photos of down South seem to display mostly bog standard layouts however. I was still a wee school boy at the time, but devoured all military information from that conflict - the copy of Janes yearly review in the local library was nearly worn out by my repeatedly reading it (it also had an interesting story in it about a Magneto-Hydrodynamic drive system in some Soviet subs, notably Typhoon class...)

• Like Like x 1
  6. What a struggle getting your NBC kit into the Poncho Roll which of course was de rigguer to carry on top of your kidney pouches.

7. I've still got mine somewhere.

8. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I'd post a photo of mine, but it went down on the Atlantic Conveyor, allegedly.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Standard 58 pattern. However, the small pack/large pack were binned. We were given funds from the unit to buy bergen packs (with proper frames) from Blacks provided they were green. When we got to South Cerney, a whole stack of bergens were available which were, obviously, not standard Army issue. As an aside, it was also "stick your crackly waterproofs in that pile over there" and some decent waterproofs (which actually folded up) were issued.

10. I seem to remember there were some pictures of WW2 pattern steel helmets being used due to helmet shortages- as usual lack of equipment, nothing changes.

11. I think they were para helmets that were a similar pattern to the WW2 helmets. Not sure like

12. 1. No.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

Now I'll exceed the brief by offering you advice on how to find such pictures.

a) Books (remember them?), about the Falklands?
    b) Herr Google ist euer Freund

• Like Like x 1
  13. I recall wearing one poncho roll in the standard position and another with NBC above the kidney pouches. Another debate was whether to thread the respirator case onto the belt or wear it separately. The problem for me with any additional ammo or waterbottle pouches (I was and still am a skinny little runt) was having enough room on the belt.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Roll pin belts. Say no more.