Webbing - Roll pin or standard buckle?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by nightshadow452, Oct 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm thinking about changing out the standard buckle on my webbing in favour of a roll-pin, as the buckle tends to slip far more than I like. My question is in two parts:

1) Is it worth it?

2) If I do change it, do I need to buy an entire new belt for my set, or can I just change the buckle out? If so, how easy/difficult is it?

I know it might seem like a really bone question to ask...
  2. Which one is more free, doesn't cost you anything and doesn't involve you giving up your hard earned wages in order to have one?
  3. I'm going to be taking that as a pretty firm 'stick with the standard'.
  4. OP,

Try using the search function!
  5. I've always been a fan of the buckle as it allows instant undoing of belt.
  6. As long as your belt and buckle are in working order there is no real benefit to having a roll pin other than it passes the time trying to fasten it one handed in the middle of the night on your way to the night stag position (Late) with cold hands and a dog head because you forgot where you are in relation to the apex.
  7. If you think the standard side release buckle slips then just you wait till you use a roll pin belt its a lot worse !

How old is your Standard belt and standard buckle ? you might want to replace one or other first and see if there is any improvement .it is only plastic after all and will wear with time like wise the belt will become smooth and less likely to bite into the teeth on the buckle.

Its an easy modd for someone with a heavy duty sewing machine ,not easy if you are doing it by hand !
  8. Yes but 'Them' prefer the roll pin.
  9. Easy if you buy the buckle from Survival Aids and swap it on the issue belt for the clip.
  10. Or for just 15 of your hard earned pounds you can buy a belt with a roll pin which works just fine. Not much slide at all for me. Simples :wink:
  11. Yes, a roll pin buckle will fit on the issue belt, its piss easy and takes about a minute to do.
  12. get a wide strip of velcro sewn on the 'inside' of the loose 'flap' bit and the corresponding piece on the 'outside' of the main belt, where the 2 would normally touch anyway.

lets you tighten up as normal then stick it down once it's tight enough so it don't slip.

will get a photo of mine and upload it sometime.

Dragon / JayJays / Troopers will do this job.
  13. as for that argument, I've seen somebody with the normal plastic buckle attached by means of a small piece of belt to a roll pin.

allows adjustment by roll pin with ability to take it off quickly with clip.

and looks pretty ally.
  14. That is genious. I may have to get that done. You could sell belts done like this, you'd make a killing.
  15. cheers! so I do occasionally have a good idea then!