Webbing question

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Leicsnoob, Dec 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yes, this is probably a basic question, but I need to ask somewhere. Currently OTC, joining TA next year post graduation. I've got some webbing I've been issued but it's pretty bad (doesn't sit properly on me, the whole thing sits slightly more on my left shoulder, so weighs down more). Looking at getting my own set, just so I have one for the rest of my time with OTC and then TA.

My question is, what is a good webbing for me to go for, what am I looking for, should it be MTP (my combats are MTP)? Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Sarcastic comments not so much, come on people it's the lowest form of wit.

2. Sounds to me like it just needs setting up properly ,why does it weigh more on the left ? is it because you have more weight on the left perhaps ? Its never going to be 100% balanced due to different items in each pouch etc
  3. Your best bet is actually wait on till you join your TA unit.

They might issue you a decent new set. Some units have different rules.

Speaking from my limited experience the type of webbing used by the RMP (V) is set up differently to how many in the yeomanry would have it etc...

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  4. I wouldn't shell out for any MTP stuff at the start of your career, it would be a waste of your money at the moment. I'd stick with your issued stuff and get it set up correctly, it sounds as if it just needs stripping apart and put back together by someone who knows how to do it, that wasn't a dig at you BTW but you'd be surprised by the amount of people who don't.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yes, MTP.

My preference is an MTP MOLLE Battle Belt (make sure it has three rows of webbing) with an under armour yoke and whatever pouches you want.

All I carry in my webbing is ammo/grenades, water, bayonet, rifle cleaning kit. Everything else goes in my day sack. Much more comfortable.

However, like everyone else says-don't go spending your own money. PLCE is absolutely up to the job-just get it set up properly. I have used it for almost my entire military career and would be quite happy to carry on using it (only switched to MOLLE because it was an operational issue)

6. mctbk5nx500c.jpg
    Having seen this stuff up close it is well made and pretty solid. I like the detachable and customisable molle design and that it's still pretty much like CS95. It isn't some Chinese Webtex-like shit but is made in Romania. The factory is probably Chinese owned though!

I might be buying a set when I get into PCS about Feb/Mar/April if I can afford it. I'll put a review up ASAP if I do.

7. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

I have a sneaky suspicion that there is the square-root of F all wrong with your webbing, apart from your lack of ability to set it up correctly.

Take the whole thing apart, and then put back together again. Fit the belt first, then start attaching pouches with those at the middle of your back first, around to the Ammo pouches, last thing to attach and adjust is the yoke. If you can be arsed to look I am pretty sure there is an article in Arrsepedia on this, and probably 5 million threads.

This is one of my pet hates. Crow getting webbing off the shelf, and just fannying about with the yoke, and possible the belt length, and then claiming the kit is crap when it feels uncomfortable, and looks like donkey poo. Stop being a lazy git and sort it out properly.

Happy Christmas. Bah Humbug.
    • Like Like x 6
  8. msr

msr LE

9. Make sure you buy it in time to have it with your new unit, if you don't you run the risk of them thinking you are an absolute ballbag using issue webbing!
  10. A few hours work and some tape should produce a good set of webbing from the issue stuff.

Strip your webbing down and start again. I think there is a guide available in the BAeBB, ask for a print off, there was a video when first came out.

Did you unit not get all the recruits out and show you how to do it?

If not PM me and i'll type you through it.
  11. It's not the set up sadly, I did it myself, checked it, then said it wasn't sitting right. Got a few other guys to check it, (few guys who have been doing it for a while) just in case I was getting it wrong, and it turns out that the webbing belt that it all attaches to is pretty bad. Alot of the slots for attachment, are knackered and won't accept bits, so I had to move the left side closer to the belt buckle, and etc. It was all a bit of a mess really.
  12. In reply to the questions, we went through it a lot, it's not rocket science I'll grant, but the stuff is old and has been through heavy use. It's not that I can't cope with it, I was just wondering if it would be better for my comfort. I was thinking of holding off, but have no idea really. Happy with my kit mostly, but it's all at least 10 years old, if not older.
  13. so wait and see what you get issued at the new unit ,as it may not be in the same state as your current set.
  14. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Until you've joined your unit it would be unwise to invest money in expensive kit that you may not be allowed to use but there are some things that you could get to make your current rig a bit more user friendly.

Firstly a hippo pad of some sort. Secondly a roll pin belt or other easily adjustable belt and lastly a day sack.

MTP/Multicam v DPM? DPM is dead, long live MTP. Othe other hand there's plenty of cheap DPM around and you'll be able to use it for years to come. An issue DPM Patrol Pack (NI pack) will only cost a couple of quid on eBay and will last you for years and have an old lag ally factor.

15. Im pretty sure it will fall to bits in no time if its anything like the other flecktarn stuff ,they use branded buckles i grant you
    "wu jin" comes to mind but its all single stitched with thread of questionable quality,im not even sure its nylon its a poly cotton mix if memory serves me.