Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Webbing for tank Crewman

Got to disagree with this, good webbing should spread the load, some on your shoulders some direct onto your hips. The human back is actually pretty poor at carrying weight.
Fair enough. I was much skinnier when I was wearing webbing years ago (weren’t we all?) so I am not entirely sure how much weight is carried by the average crewman these days. Years ago it wasn’t much.
Some further thoughts for the op: if they are a racing snake and not much weight is being carried, could this be causing the equipment to come loose?
My reasoning is that equipment needs some load on to hang together.
ETA: seen the above. Seems a bit sad that a mate in the unit could not have helped out.

TPR-K

Swinger
The tag is on the inside it’s just that I’m skinny and that’s where it’s been adjusted to my waist, I’ve found the slider thing that was hidden away under one of the pouches and I’ve put that tight to the buckle and it seems more resistant to coming loose so I’ll see how I get on, if not a friend has said I can have his old roll pin belt

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 38

Slime

LE
Just for the OP

Here is a length of webbing in the same position as the belt in the OP’s photo, but with the loose end threaded correctly through the ladder lock in the buckle :)

8C0CC4FF-B2B4-4CBE-83C5-78641F7F1296.jpeg

TPR-K

Swinger
Fair enough. I was much skinnier when I was wearing webbing years ago (weren’t we all?) so I am not entirely sure how much weight is carried by the average crewman these days. Years ago it wasn’t much.
Some further thoughts for the op: if they are a racing snake and not much weight is being carried, could this be causing the equipment to come loose?
My reasoning is that equipment needs some load on to hang together.
ETA: seen the above. Seems a bit sad that a mate in the unit could not have helped out.

I’ve had mates in the unit help out but they’ve all got their own webbing with roll pins etc so were a bit puzzled by it, none of them knew about the slider thing though

Boxy

GCM
The tag is on the inside it’s just that I’m skinny and that’s where it’s been adjusted to my waist, I’ve found the slider thing that was hidden away under one of the pouches and I’ve put that tight to the buckle and it seems more resistant to coming loose so I’ll see how I get on, if not a friend has said I can have his old roll pin belt

if you want to go full retard, get a Cobra buckle from the likes of Contact Left, let him know what it’s for as there are various sizes, that won’t slip loose...a wee bit excessive though but rather ally

ETA: There are three sizes of belt as well, Small, medium and large...step down if needed

TPR-K

Swinger
Is this right now? The label is actually on the inside but I’m real skinny so it’s ended up there after adjusting to my waist

Attachments

• 96FC3F19-2A38-452F-B7E1-BD7B3DB926AA.jpeg
    96FC3F19-2A38-452F-B7E1-BD7B3DB926AA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 46
I’ve had mates in the unit help out but they’ve all got their own webbing with roll pins etc so were a bit puzzled by it, none of them knew about the slider thing though
Sounds like it will soon be sorted. Just remember TPR-K, these things are sent to try us. Good luck.

Slime

LE
Is this right now? The label is actually on the inside but I’m real skinny so it’s ended up there after adjusting to my waist

I hope you are being serious, and not on a wind up.
Do it like in my pic with the red webbing.
The loose ends always point outwards from the buckle, not inwards like you have it.

TPR-K

Swinger
I hope you are being serious, and not on a wind up.
Do it like in my pic with the red webbing.
The loose ends always point outwards from the buckle, not inwards like you have it.
The loose bit is on the outside unless I’m not understanding something?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 44

Slime

LE

Here’s an idea.

Look at the above pic and the label where is says belt LIGHT.

Unthread the belt, but keep the buckle just like it is in that pic.

Thread the loose end of the belt UP through the slot where the letter T is, take it up over the bar where G is, then back DOWN through the slot where L is.
Now pull the loose end towards your right hand pouch. The loose end will now face the right hand pouch and be outside of the main part of the belt.

Slime

LE
For those issued with this type of belt, does it have two loose adjustable ends or just one.
If it has one which side is the loose end on.

It’s been years since I’ve worn webbing, and I always used a roll pin belt.

TPR-K

Swinger
Here’s an idea.

Look at the above pic and the label where is says belt LIGHT.

Unthread the belt, but keep the buckle just like it is in that pic.

Thread the loose end of the belt UP through the slot where the letter T is, take it up over the bar where G is, then back DOWN through the slot where L is.
Now pull the loose end towards your right hand pouch. The loose end will now face the right hand pouch and be outside of the main part of the belt.
Like that? If not I dont have a clue what you mean because I’m pretty sure it’s the same, the loose end is facing the right pouch

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47

Slime

LE
Like that? If not I dont have a clue what you mean because I’m pretty sure it’s the same, the loose end is facing the right pouch

That part your thumb is touching should be the loose end.

Slime

LE
If the above pic shows the loose end by your thumb try the belt with the webbing just as without adjusting it to fit, as it is in that pic and see if it slips.

Edited for mong typing.

Last edited:

Slime

LE
Apologies in advance for a long explanation, but I use and made things with these buckles a lot.
The above suggestion is because the ladderlock type buckles work by the fact the buckle is under tension when tight, this keeps the webbing loose end pressed against the ridged surfaces on the buckle, and the friction between ridges and webbing material stop any slipping.

In your initial pic you had the shiny smooth belt label where the ridged areas on the buckle need to grip.
The label won’t grip as well as the webbing.

If the belt doesn’t slip when the label isn’t in the buckle itself that would leave you with these options amongst others.

Get a smaller belt so the label isn’t in the buckle.
Cut the label off.
Buy a different belt.

With the above explanation in mind, it’s why some very cheap packs or items with soft polyester webbing always slip in the buckles, as the cheap webbing can’t offer enough friction :)

Slime

LE

Slime

LE
Should have added, if the belt doesn’t slip when the label isn’t in the buckle then adding a hip pad would act to enlarge your waist, and stop the label being in the way.

TPR-K

Swinger
Should have added, if the belt doesn’t slip when the label isn’t in the buckle then adding a hip pad would act to enlarge your waist, and stop the label being in the way.
Thank you I really appreciate your help, it seems better when not on the label, I’ve ordered a hip pad and buying a roll pin belt off a friend both for litterally pennies so I’ve saved on buying new webbing which is a bonus, maybe in the future I’ll get Velcro ammo pouches to make life easier but I think for now I’m sorted, thank you everyone for the help

Latest Threads