Webbing for tank Crewman

TPR-K

Swinger
Hi, I have recently joined the reserves and training as a tank Crewman, I want to get my own webbing because the issued one is rubbish, I want decent kit as I want to go regular in the future so don’t mind paying for quality, the problem is i don’t have a clue on what to look for?
Any advice and links would be greatly appreciated

dwills

War Hero
You can base your whole tank on this theme....

1571480271271.png

Hi, I have recently joined the reserves and training as a tank Crewman, I want to get my own webbing because the issued one is rubbish, I want decent kit as I want to go regular in the future so don’t mind paying for quality, the problem is i don’t have a clue on what to look for?
you think the current issue webbing is rubbish, but you don’t know what you are looking for?

i would suggest you grow up a bit and learn to be a soldier first, get used to your kit and how it works best for you, making small adjustments and changes along the way.

alternatively you can spend upwards of £500 on personal webbing that may not suit you because you don’t know what you are doing yet.

CowboyBob

War Hero
I think if we are to help you we need to understand why your issue webbing is rubbish?
Once we know what the problem is the we can help you.

Is it DPM and you don't want to mix and match your cammo?

Do you need more pouches for stuff?
Remember, more pouches = more stuff = more weight.
Can you not use a daysack to carry stuff in?

Do you not like the issue webbing because it does not fit you correctly?
PLCE webbing is great at being adjusted to fit, if you need to change belts for a bigger/smaller one just ask the QM.

Personally I would wait until you have been in a few years and know what your personal webbing requirements are before buying anything.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As a new guy wear standard kit until you find out the local view on kit No one likes a smart arse FNG. Also older sweats will know where to buy kit cheaply.

In what way is issue webbing rubbish? Bearing in mind you’ve just joined the Reserves, what experience do you have to make such a claim? Mine was perfectly adequate for my A, my B, my Ph2, and the 25 exercises, courses and cadres I’ve done in the three years since.

TPR-K

Swinger
I think if we are to help you we need to understand why your issue webbing is rubbish?
Once we know what the problem is the we can help you.

Is it DPM and you don't want to mix and match your cammo?

Do you need more pouches for stuff?
Remember, more pouches = more stuff = more weight.
Can you not use a daysack to carry stuff in?

Do you not like the issue webbing because it does not fit you correctly?
PLCE webbing is great at being adjusted to fit, if you need to change belts for a bigger/smaller one just ask the QM.

Personally I would wait until you have been in a few years and know what your personal webbing requirements are before buying anything.
Hi, thank you for a good response, the issue I have is that the belt keeps coming loose, the feels generally heavier and uncomfortable although weighing the same as my mates, and not a big issue but I just can’t get on with the clips, it was fine with it until we did a RFT where when running the belt kept coming loose and after crawling etc the pouches were everywhere and just in general shit state while moving, my unit said to look for good quality 2nd hand webbing on eBay but that didn’t really answer my question as I’m was hoping for like a specific brand to look out for, as per tank Crewman not using webbing since I have joined there has been multiple dismounted exercises so I don’t really want to be the one looking in shit state compared to everyone else

Just get it fitted properly. Ask for help, or work it out for yourself. The latter course will be more painful as poorly fitting webbing will cause more than discomfort. If bits don’t fit, exchange them. Your QM will help, be courteous and insistent but hold your ground.
Years ago one could throw webbing in a bit of the tank and retrieve it for stagging on as necessary. This trend for dismounted duty means you have to get your webbing right. Do not pay for anything, use the issued gear.

TPR-K

Swinger
Just get it fitted properly. Ask for help, or work it out for yourself. The latter course will be more painful as poorly fitting webbing will cause more than discomfort. If bits don’t fit, exchange them. Your QM will help, be courteous and insistent but hold your ground.
Years ago one could throw webbing in a bit of the tank and retrieve it for stagging on as necessary. This trend for dismounted duty means you have to get your webbing right. Do not pay for anything, use the issued gear.
I have had help from the QM and multiple people on exercise and they all came to the conclusion that it’s just shit and advised me to invest in some from eBay, I’ll speak to the QM again but it’s extremely hard for him to get new stuff (or so he says) as we are a reserve unit and not priority

Hi, thank you for a good response, the issue I have is that the belt keeps coming loose, the feels generally heavier and uncomfortable although weighing the same as my mates, and not a big issue but I just can’t get on with the clips, it was fine with it until we did a RFT where when running the belt kept coming loose and after crawling etc the pouches were everywhere and just in general shit state while moving, my unit said to look for good quality 2nd hand webbing on eBay but that didn’t really answer my question as I’m was hoping for like a specific brand to look out for, as per tank Crewman not using webbing since I have joined there has been multiple dismounted exercises so I don’t really want to be the one looking in shit state compared to everyone else
Find an approachable cpl who has webbing that fits and looks like it is comfortable. Ask for help.

I'd also suggest using bungies or straps if needed to adjust the natural hand of the webbing.

The ONLY, yes ONLY piece of webbing I would advise a sprog to buy is a hip pad. Mostly as when I was a sprog and had a 26 inch waist, I couldn't get the pouches onto a belt that fitted properly (too many pouches and not enough waist). Adding the pad boosted my waist just enough and made them fit much better.

I am getting myself some extra pouches, mostly as I have only support arms scaling of issue and am now in a training unit (using the infantry model) as an instructor, and 1 ammo pouch pair doesn't cut it!

Last edited:

TPR-K

Swinger
Find an approachable cpl who has webbing that fits and looks like it is comfortable. Ask for help.

I'd also suggest using bunnies or straps if needed to adjust the natural hand of the webbing.

The ONLY, yes ONLY piece of webbing I would advise a sprog to buy is a hip pad. Mostly as when I was a sprog and had a 26 inch waist, I couldn't get the pouches onto a belt that fitted properly (too many pouches and not enough waist). Adding the pad boosted my waist just enough and made them fit much better.

I am getting myself some extra pouches, mostly as I have only support arms scaling of issue and am now in a training unit (using the infantry model) as an instructor, and 1 ammo pouch pair doesn't cut it!
I have asked multiple people and they have all “fixed it” for me, the problem is the belt keeps coming loose so I need a new one but what can I do about the pouches going everywhere and being in shit state when running/crawling etc?

I have had help from the QM and multiple people on exercise and they all came to the conclusion that it’s just shit and advised me to invest in some from eBay, I’ll speak to the QM again but it’s extremely hard for him to get new stuff (or so he says) as we are a reserve unit and not priority
This then may be a test for you. Get your troop sergeant or someone to help you, but you have to fight your corner sometimes.
They have to provide you with equipment that works. Ok, that may be what the army thinks works. If you are an unusual shape, and the QM does not have the right sized belt, then they should be getting you the correct size.

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero

I'd also suggest using bungies or straps if needed to adjust the natural hand of the webbing.

Sorted. Close the thread

Attachments

CowboyBob

War Hero
Sounds like you just need a lesson on how to assemble it correctly and how to disperse the weight in the pouches. As for the clasps, you will get used to them.

You can Google videos on how to assemble PLCE webbing on YouTube. Pay attention on how to fix the belt lengths in place as this will stop it becoming loose.

TPR-K

Swinger
This then may be a test for you. Get your troop sergeant or someone to help you, but you have to fight your corner sometimes.
They have to provide you with equipment that works. Ok, that may be what the army thinks works. If you are an unusual shape, and the QM does not have the right sized belt, then they should be getting you the correct size.
Trust me I’ve fought my own corner when I was issued bad fitting boots and still nothing was done so I got some cheap altbergs from the surplus shop, it’s not like the belts the wrong size it just keeps coming loose

TPR-K

Swinger
Sounds like you just need a lesson on how to assemble it correctly and how to disperse the weight in the pouches. As for the clasps, you will get used to them.

You can Google videos on how to assemble PLCE webbing on YouTube. Pay attention on how to fix the belt lengths in place as this will stop it becoming loose.
The recruiting staff sergeant set it up with me so there shouldn’t be anything wrong with it but I’ll look on YouTube and go to work on it tomorrow, do you think they will have problems if I stitch it in place?

Trust me I’ve fought my own corner when I was issued bad fitting boots and still nothing was done so I got some cheap altbergs from the surplus shop, it’s not like the belts the wrong size it just keeps coming loose
If it’s coming loose it’s the wrong size. It should be a snug fit, but not tight. Your back and shoulders are for carrying weight, not your belt.
Ask your mates in the unit. Good luck.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S ACF 13
T Military Clothing & Boots 44
B Classified Ads 17

Latest Threads