Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Webbing for tank Crewman

TPR-K

Swinger
Hi, I have recently joined the reserves and training as a tank Crewman, I want to get my own webbing because the issued one is rubbish, I want decent kit as I want to go regular in the future so don’t mind paying for quality, the problem is i don’t have a clue on what to look for?
Any advice and links would be greatly appreciated

Hi, I have recently joined the reserves and training as a tank Crewman, I want to get my own webbing because the issued one is rubbish, I want decent kit as I want to go regular in the future so don’t mind paying for quality, the problem is i don’t have a clue on what to look for?
In what way is it rubbish? And why should it not do the job for you?

Save your beer-tokens for the important stuff in life. The kit provided by Aunty Betty may well have been sourced from the lowest bidder, but the beauty of it is; when it breaks, and it will, your employer will give you an equally poorly-constructed replacement at no cost to you.

Save your beer-tokens for the important stuff in life. The kit provided by Aunty Betty may well have been sourced from the lowest bidder, but the beauty of it is; when it breaks, and it will, your employer will give you an equally poorly-constructed replacement at no cost to you.
You can never have enough durex for example

If, as you say, you have ońly recently joined their reserves, what evidence do you have that the issue kit is rubbish. Hearsay on ARRSE and elsewhere perhaps? Have you even got the experience of using the issue tissue on exercise yet? When I joined, a mere 40 years ago, yes much of the kit was cheap and not upto the job. We spent a significant amount on private purchases. By the time I left, three years ago, the situation was dramatically different. We could have only dreamt of the quality of kit that now comes through Man at Q and M. Purchases beyond that usually only reflected a wish to appear “special” and an excess of readies. Think very carefully before you commit to something that you might not need or, worse still, might not be allowed to wear.

Last edited:
I may know a fella who has a tank for sale
that would solve all of your problems
you can pimp your ride then

I think (careful), what they mean is.....

Don't be a muppet, save your beer tokens for something sensible.... Like a round down the pub.!!!!

1571427677797.png

Go out, spend a fortune customising your webbing si it's just so for your role as tank crewman.
Join regs, to be told no wankie, tankie jobs open.
Sell expensive barely used webbing to some other AR, tank crewman. Look at bank statement, weep gently.

Take the issued kit. Wear it and use it. The bits you don't like? Replace them a bit at a time if you really get the urge. Nobody will be Impressed if you turn up with weird kit, especially if you've been tucked up by some salesman. Webbing isn't cheap. By all means get an extra pouch or two if you're big enough to fit them on your belt, but save your cash for now.

If I were you, I'd be thinking about better boots than issued, (Altberg worked for me), but I've been out for a bit and things might have improved.