Webbing for a cadet

Although I appreciate that there are endless posts about webbing on this site I'm after some specific advice in respect of webbing for cadets. My lads really getting into his cadets and it is suggested that he could do with some webbing for camp. Don't want to do that but am thinking that I will get him some for Christmas. I'm a 58 pattern man so I could do with some help. I've seen mention of an assault vest as a reasonable choice. Don't want to spend a shed load as I don't suspect he'll use it that much. Similarly don't think he'll need everything i.e. not a gas mask bag, entrenching tool cover etc.

Grateful for any advice.

D

Deleted 20555

Ok being kind for a moment - best to check what exactly the preferred style of webbing is expected for the little mongs to pitch up with - having done that you can easily get something for under £50 that will last for a lot of weekends of agressive camping.

Am sure something along the lines of belt order plus yoke and daysack is the expected.

Don't go spending a fortune on PLCE, save some dosh for when he wants a bergan, a sleeping bag, a bivvy bag, a basha, a jet boil.....

I wouldn't buy webbing, there's word of the new cadet training vest made by webtex being made the only equipment cadets can use, along side the 2 rocket pouches clipped to the back, although a patrol pack may be allowed

Check with your detachment whether webbing is allowed, as in my company we aren't allowed even our own vest never mind webbing

I wouldn't buy webbing, there's word of the new cadet training vest made by webtex being made the only equipment cadets can use, along side the 2 rocket pouches clipped to the back, although a patrol pack may be allowed

Check with your detachment whether webbing is allowed, as in my company we aren't allowed even our own vest never mind webbing
Utter Bollocks

Let me get this straight. Some chap is Webtex has made an underhand deal with some chief in the cadet world to say that cadets must only buy his webbing. Smells rotten to me! Cadet Direct/Cadet kit shop have tried to do the same but failed.

Sounds more like adults in that det, coy or Bn/County making things up.

Webbing is issued for use by Cadets. Thus they can wear it. Obviously the adults need to take in to account the Cadet. Do they need webbing, what do they need and is it light enough.

Most of the time people are not happy issuing the stuff because it is so complex (for the adults). Some dets try to make the sets up and leave them as such, others issue in bits for assembly.

Vests are one item, but on the other hand bring their own nightmares. For starters, in hot weather you've just sealed the kid in a wasitcoat of kit that seals in the heat. Bringing with it some problems.

Rocket pouches are not the best thing for young backs either IMHO.

So, here is my suggestion.

For the miniture cadet
1. Belt
2. Yoke
3. Ammo pouch
4. Uty pouch

and a good day sac (ie a civvy one in OG).

As the said Cadet grows/becomes more experienced extra pouches can be added.

I also work to the old adage that the Cadet shouldn't carry more than 1/3 of their body weight.

Just want to put in my thoughts. I went on an AFC camp last year, I'm an officer cadet and was helping out, and when going out in the field all the cadets there got issued assault vests. So I'd make sure to check that that's not the case with your kids detachment.

D

Deleted 20555

Of course if everyone is bored at work we could come up with suggestions to ensure that he is kitted as the most ally cadet ever to the extent the instructor sidles up and asks for the details of where he got his kit so he could get some too.

Might be expensive though...

Just want to put in my thoughts. I went on an AFC camp last year, I'm an officer cadet and was helping out, and when going out in the field all the cadets there got issued assault vests. So I'd make sure to check that that's not the case with your kids detachment.
Cadet dets are only scaled for webbing. So either the County purchased a job lot (possible) or a kindly QM/devious storeman has sorted them out with some buckshees (not likely in mahoosive numbers) or a combination of both.

As I mentioned above, vests don't half seal the heat in so come with a few problems. Webbing can be tailored to the cadet. Vests less so.

I joined up with '58, and a bird in my troop couldn't physically wear more than ammo pouches and kidney pouches, they were buckle to buckle and she couldn't get the haversac and water bottle pouch on at all. She was 16 at the time, so not too old to compare with cadets.

Cadet dets are only scaled for webbing. So either the County purchased a job lot (possible) or a kindly QM/devious storeman has sorted them out with some buckshees (not likely in mahoosive numbers) or a combination of both.

As I mentioned above, vests don't half seal the heat in so come with a few problems. Webbing can be tailored to the cadet. Vests less so.

I joined up with '58, and a bird in my troop couldn't physically wear more than ammo pouches and kidney pouches, they were buckle to buckle and she couldn't get the haversac and water bottle pouch on at all. She was 16 at the time, so not too old to compare with cadets.
Fair enough, I guess that what I saw isn't common practice then so I'll bow to your knowledge! I'll be able to find out again soon anyway, going back on an ACF camp with the same County this year, will see what they use.

The Cadet Training Vest (CTV) is not made by Webtex, but by Highlander. However the materials it is made from are not of the highest quality but it is well made. We've not had them long, and I've yet to see one unserviceable and they seem to do the job without dramas. However I take the point about heat retention which is a drawback. Its the reason I stick to webbing after having tried a vest last year.

Avoid all webtex apart from notebook/nyrex covers. It is still crap despite claims by the importer, Thatchreed, that quality has improved.

If you are an ex 58 man, PLCE is not much different. Its still based on a belt and yoke. Put it together yourself, as the ACF AI likely won't have a clue*

A good set of PLCE can last a full cadet career, is adaptable for role, and can be modified/improved as required. Its cheaper than any quality (even poor quality!) vest. Some counties, allegedly, have banned PLCE too (a daft move) or have decided only 3* and above or AIs can wear webbing. Get the bottom line from your sons county, if neccessary talk to the County Training Officer, as the AI at the det might be talking out of his exhaust if he says 'this is banned' or 'that is forbidden.' The only thing that is deffo withdrawn and should not be used is 58 pattern, as SASC have declared it incompatible with the weapon system L98A2, L86A2.

I wish people in the ACF would stop perpetuating rumour and spinning them on as fact. A howler I heard last weekend doing an ex with a neighbouring, and utterly shambolic sector, from an AI of all of 5 minutes in the organisation tells the assembled staff from my county that cadets can only wear OG, not temperate DPM webbing to denote they are cadets and not regulars. 'Really?' says I. 'Can you show me that in writing from LAND?' delivered in a tone of shut-up-you-tool-and-stop-talking-out-of-your-hoop. It was a loooong weekend, believe me...However, with the likely move to MTP next year, it might be prudent to get a set of PLCE in green if you can, as, like Katie Price, OG goes with anything but they are getting rarer than rocking horse shite at the moment and you might have to hunt around different shops for various bits.

PM me for pointers where to get webbing cheap if e-bay doesn't deliver.

*Which is why the ACF is keen on the CTV!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
You sick ****! Oh, not that sort of webbing?
You think that's bad? I read it as "Wedding for a cadet" and expected another flame-fest about people wanting to get married in cadet uniform.

That aside, I really think it's bad when cadets are being taught "If you want decent kit, buy it yourself" at such a tender age. Believe it or not, in 1980 I went direct from a course to an exercise with a couple of hours break in between to draw SMG and join up with a troop from A Sqn and catch a train south to Regensburg where we were fed into the exercise as "casualty replacements" (simply an excuse to try a process never before used because a whole bunch of people were joining the exercise late).

Needing one set of kit, including shreddies etc, for the course, I decided for once in my life to pre-pack my exercise kit using only the issued kit, not even PRI-bought.

I didn't do that again. Drawers, Dracula ... eurrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh. Say no more.

It transpired that they got issued with some plain green PLCE just before camp. Seemed like a standard set: yoke, belt, 2 x ammo puches, 2 x utility (?) pouches and a gas mask pouch. Came all assembled apart from a few straps which we couldn't fathom in the end!

Having spent a week threatening the lad with dire consequences if he lost my mess tins which I got in 1980 etc. etc. I'm still thinking it would be an idea to get him a set so he can get his own kit put together with his own bits and pieces then we don't have to go through the trauma of packing again!

Anyway he's going to have a shufti at camp to find out what the form is and what the more experienced guys use.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Latest word on webbing is....

Cadets are not allowed to wear PLCE, due to size and possible injuries... It was not tested on junior/small soldiers...

ACF will have vest type webbing issued in time for Camp 2012.

I guess PLCE, will be fine for Adults...

ps

I don't have a ref, other than a very reliable source and here is my £5 to back it up :)

Don't waste your money on webbing the cadets very rarely use the stuff and are has been mentioned in any case being issued with a baby assault vest lol

I'd spend your money on either a decent daysack/bergan or some warm kit / decent waterproofs

All the walting around with AI's and webbing no one needs a set of webbing packed as is they were trolling aroung the green zone, I have 2 ammo pouches for SAA and 3 water bottle pouches, one for first aid and emergency kit etc the others for guess what Water? metal mug and a hole in the ground suffice if I have to heat water up.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
maxxcadet Weapons, Equipment & Rations 20
Harry Paget Flashman Classified Ads 17
I Weapons, Equipment & Rations 103