Web Cam wanted

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by theloggie, Nov 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am expecting this thread to be moved to the Tech/Geek area, but not being one of those I couldn't find it!!

Just before I make the jump to Aus (in 2 months) I need a webcam so the kids/Mrs can keep in touch with friends/relatives etc.

Trouble is I can't find one that does what I want which is...

....for a desktop not laptop, minimum 1.3 megapixel, built in microphone, a remote control so it can be moved around as its used (not via the internet) and preferably some sort of low light capability as I know some webcams have trouble with normal 'home' lighting.

Over to you oh wise nerds of Arrse................

Thanks

2. I use a digital camera which does all what you said minus the remote control.

3. Considering you have placed this in the naafi forum- I will give you the DS answer - Are you planning to w@nk off and let your relatives watch for your inbred swapping over the web. Any cam would do for this . It will make a change from you hanging out the back of them. I hope this advice helps you six fingered freak.

4. Sounds like you just want to plant a camera in the female accommodation and tug away

5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

THis is one of the few times that PC world are not that bad. They have several options @1.3 res for around £110 <= , I went for the logitech version.

Alternatively find your nearest Maplin and ask in there.

Set yourself up with a Skype free account and you are done!

Just beware though, using 1.3mb resolution is heavy on the bandwidth compared to a normal webcam, as it is notionally HD standard.

OH and seeing as this is the NAAFI- what's your skype address big boy?? ;)

6. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

That's the badger, and there is one on a one metre mast/pole as well.

7. Are you sure that 1.3MB is heavy on the bandwidth, Gremlin??? I thought 1.3MB was pretty minimal????

I have seen 1.3MB cameras for c£10 in Staples. I didn't buy one because I thought they might not be very good. Should I change my mind?

Litotes

8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

My MS usb wbcam cost me £15. mike built in, works in low light, not remote control but for £15 you cant complain. why do you want remote control anyway?